Why become a member? ×

Can you hear it?!

Al Krow

I'm not as / more** (**delete as applicable) deaf than I thought!   

46 members have voted

1. 1. What's the highest frequency you can hear (with a decent pair of headphones)?

• > 15 kHz - I've got a young gun's hearing!
    • 10 kHz to 15 kHz - not looking too shabby given my age :)
    • 5 kHz to 10 kHz - it's starting to slip
    • 1 kHz to 5 kHz - well I've been in a band for 20 years haven't I?
    • < 1 kHz - oh dear...

With a set of Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones I could hear from 30Hz through to 12500Hz as others have said my upper limit is above my tinnitus frequency, I did find that as we approached the 10000Hz mark I backed the volume right off to a just audible level as it started to get uncomfortable as we got higher, I am 52 now and have spent a lifetime on stage next to a drummer or stood at the front of some very loud punk gigs

On 11/03/2019 at 21:07, blisters on my fingers said:

As I've had tinnitus for years I listened through a set of Tannoy Reveal monitors instead of headphones (just in case it kicked the tinnitus up a notch)....

Thanks Al interesting stuff

I can't listen to music through headphones  - esp in-ears - any longer as a late night/early morning YouTube Rammstein session left me with augmented tinnitus for a few days afterwards. It receded a little bit but it's definitely a tad louder than it ever was. Keeping my ears clear of wax helps mitigate it.

On 12/03/2019 at 03:36, Angelus said:

20hz to almost 15k hz at 47 years old. I have tinnitus and have been diagnosed with conductive hearing loss. Strangest thing, while going up through the frequencies it seems to pan, happen to anyone else? Still rehearsing with bands and doing sound for a few friends, so it’s only going to get worse unfortunately. 

Yep on the panning.

Been a discussion about whether we need to worry about the 'fundamentals' on another thread. You might find this interesting to check out.

Low B string - fundamental

Low E string - fundamental

Low B string - first harmonic (i.e. one octave up from the low B)

Low E string - first harmonic (i.e. one octave up = low E string on a 6 string guitar)

• Thanks 1

I remember where I lived as a boy, near Ravenstone village in Bucks, there was a quarry nearby.  You could just see the conveyors on the horizon from our house.  There was a constant low level grinding noise from it.  It's not possible to say for certain but I am sure that was louder than the background grind that I sometimes hear as an adult.

Of course now, I live near the city of Derby and there is a lot of local industry that runs plant day and night.

Lots of variables with tests like this... What are you listening on - speakers or headphones? What's the frequency response of the device you're listening on - is it flat or does it have an EQ curve applied? What output level (dB) are you listening at? Is there any background noise? Etc. Any one of these variables could skew the results quite significantly. But heh, for a rough approximation of hearing range such tests are mostly fine.

Last time I checked, mine spanned from around 25Hz - 14.5kHz, after which it falls off a cliff and disappears (partly due to my tinnitus). This is very typical of someone my age (mid-40s).

As a general rule:

• Everyone should be able to hear 8kHz.
  • People under 50 years of age should hear 12kHz .
  • People under 40 should be hearing 15kHz.

79dcc9f3_hearingrange.jpeg.c37b9e6ee26efeaae2452c039563d6d0.jpeg

• Like 1