Why become a member? ×

Most popular roundwound material

Guest MoJo

Nickel Plated Steel or Stainless Steel roundwounds. Which do you prefer and why?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Nickels or Steels, which do you prefer?

• Nickel Plated Steel
    • Stainless Steel

I expect the D'Addario representative that posts on this forum could answer this question for me, but I'm interested to know whether Stainless Steel or Nickel Plated Roundwounds are the more popular choice among the bass playing community. Just a bit of fun

A few years ago I decided to try a new brand of strings every month.

Amongst others I went through GHS boomers, Fender nickels, Dunlop Superbrights (should be banned under trades descriptions - they're average bright at best) and various others, both nickel and steel.

When I got to stainless steel DR Hi Beams the search was over.

I just prefer the feel and zing of steel roundwounds.

Edited by Cato

Nickel for me too - must have tried them all over the years but came back to and settled on DR Nickel Lo-Riders. Trying out the LaBella Nickel RX's on my 5 string on Mark Stickleys' (Bass Direct) recommendation and they've settled in really nicely after 3 days play. Another +1 for Davo's comment on the SS jangle.

16 hours ago, Davo-London said:

I'm a signed up nickel DR Sunbeam purist - stainless steel has too much jangle to start with but then loses it dramatically, whereas nickel seems to be more consistent over time.

That's my experience.

Davo

That’s been my experience too. Nickel for me.

Always been SS for me.

Nickel are nowhere near as rich tonally or have enough harmonic content for me. Plus every nickel set I've ever used (varying brands), I seem to kill very quickly.

It's all about the Piano tone!

On 11/03/2019 at 14:51, Cato said:

A few years ago I decided to try a new brand of strings every month.

Amongst others I went through GHS boomers, Fender nickels, Dunlop Superbrights (should be banned under trades descriptions - they're average bright at best) and various others, both nickel and steel.

When I got to stainless steel DR Hi Beams the search was over.

I just prefer the feel and zing of steel roundwounds.

Tried the Fatbeams?
I find they have a more even tone and stay really stable tonally as they age. Hi Beams I like but found they got more middy as they got older. 
Mind you if you're changing them every month you might not be getting the same sounds as me! I find a set of DRs will last me a year or two before going dead. ....  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll take nickel if I can get 'em, but I'm happy enough playing stainless steels - I happily used Rotosound RS66 in stainless steel for years, before a friend pointed out that they also did a nickel-plated version. So it's nickel if I have the choice, but I'll happily default to stainless if, say, offered a discount bundle of Warwick Reds.

I've always used SS, tried nickel in the past and didn't like them at all, however I've recently tried them again on my Dingwall ABZ5 and I'm starting to think they have a better tone for some of the funkier stuff  I play... so at the moment I'm completely on the fence, although I did vote for SS for historic reasons.

Tried a few Nickels in recent years but, more recently, thought I'd give the Newtone SS Diamond strings a go.  That's it, search over - I've got them on my passive, active and fretless basses now.  Maybe those formative, early playing years with Roto Steelies just left too much of a mark.