Why become a member? ×

NBD: RMI Boomslang Jive

BrunoBass

Whilst trawling the internet for a nice used Precision my eye was caught by this stunner and I knew instantly I had to have it. The seller was half an hour away from me so I picked it up a few days ago. Do I need another J type bass? Not really, but you know how it is...

I knew nothing of RMI basses and a bit of Googling hasn't thrown up much information, other than the fact that these are designed in the UK by Mark Ramsay and built in South Korea (possible the Samick factory). The build quality is excellent.

I did find online a vague spec though, which informs me that the hardware is all Wilkinson, so no complaints there. Electrics wise the active circuitry is engaged by the pull/push master volume, plus there's a pickup pan, and three band EQ. There is also a kill switch. 

The body is basswood, neck is maple with a 38mm J type nut width and shallow C profile, with an Ebanol fingerboard.

The best thing about this bass though is the pickups, which are amazing. They are G&B Tonemasters which I believe sometimes appear in Cort and Ibanez basses too, and they're so good I want to buy another set to put into my bitsa Jazz. They've got big output, great clarity across all frequencies and strong continuity across all the strings. They're almost too powerful but with a bit of EQ adjustment they can be bought under control. They give me the modern Jazz Bass tone I've always craved, and there's also (to my ears at least) a Stingray type springiness. For a modern sounding J this bass is ideal, and works very well in my rock covers band. Looks awesome too, 190 quid well spent.

19473D81-8DD9-4E5A-B707-E6A29AD3CB8A.jpeg

14B3F5D3-4EF4-4464-8700-4E1FC7653E10.jpeg

F0EA1B79-8FE2-42B6-85E1-17E7F9D63268.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Congrats on the new bass - pretty sure I was keeping an eye on that one myself but unfortunately I'm not in the market right now. It's a cool looking shape and I haven't seen them for sale over here before. Got any clips?

Thanks - not yet but hoping to have soon.

8 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Just looked at his webby and  those basses are fabulous.  They all seem to be £1400 or more, so why is the Boomslang so cheap ?

Not sure... the Boomslang isn’t made anymore, RMI look like they’re more into the high end boutique stuff these days, not really anything I’m interested in to be honest. The one I picked up was originally on at £275 but it went down to £190. I saw one on an Australian used bass site for Aus$800 (about £420) so there’s some variance in asking price.

It’s a very high quality bass, if it had a ‘name’ on the headstock they’d probably command much higher prices.

Edited by BrunoBass

• 5 months later...

I’m bumping this up again in case anyone can shed any light on RMI basses and might’ve missed the original post? I fired a few questions about the bass to RMI’s Facebook page but got no response. 

I’m interested in when this model was made, original RRP etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 19:47, razor5cl said:

Wow looks like a fantastic looking thing, I love that Ebanol fingerboard! Looks almost pitch black to me, so mean looking!

It plays very well, is very light and sounds terrific, definitely worth grabbing one if you ever get the chance.

• 3 years later...

2023 bump!!

I used to own an RMI Quantum Dominic Di Piazza Signature 6 string.. even wrote a NBD article on here:

Actually, he told me the other day he still had one bass in stock. I am not in a position to buy anything right now.. but i highly recommend his basses & would order one to my specs if i could... 

Here are the specs of the bass:

Translucent aqua burst high-gloss polyester finish

Pearloid fretboard inlays

Deeply inset bolt-on construction (7 bolts) with recessed neck heel for unhindered playing

Slim 35mm deep semi-chambered, stepped-level body (for lowest action)

3-piece wedge body construction (hard maple centre / Vietnamese walnut / pink mahogany)

Exotic poplar birdseye top

24 medium-gauge frets

33" scale

16.5mm string spacing at the bridge

43mm nut width

Flat rosewood fretboard (no radius / like classical guitar)

Apex scarf neck construction (3-piece hard ash, hard maple, nato mahogany)

Maximum-stability U channel Martin-style truss rod + 2x KTS titanium reinforcement bars (Japan)

RMI dual-coil humbucking CNC-wound pickups in wooden shells (poplar birdseye / maple)

Mini 3-way coil selection switch per pickup: parallel, single-coil, in series

Preamp (9v) with 3-band EQ + pull / push for passive / active switch on Volume control

Hipshot A-style brass bridge

Hipshot Ultralight Y-key aluminium tuners

Weight is around 4Kg (based on the 3.8kg verified weight of the earlier model)

Screenshot_20230324_151042_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1