Why become a member? ×

NB'sD

Steve Browning

Ok, to many these will be just another two copy basses. To me (having played them) they are just so much better.

SVL Guitars are the work of Simon Law, guitar tech for Matt Schofield, Robben Ford and Pete Townsend. In fact he is with the Who recording at the moment (and, with these, I got a set of Pino |Palladino's strings).

Hugely resonant and nice and light. They feature 5% overwound Lindy Fralin Vintage pickups, lightweight reverse tuners and Gotoh bridges. Absolutely awesomer work and they will be my constant companions from now on.

20190311_095209.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks all.

Simon concentrates on guitars and has only made a small handful of basses but you can see the quality of his work on the website. He would certainly make a bass if requested. He specifically asked if he could build me a bass and my daft spare obsession required two of them. Had to unload 6 basses to cover the cost but well worth it.

13 hours ago, greenolive said:

They look great Steve , love the colour too

Thanks. Slightly lighter than true 70's mocha but I actually prefer this colour. Simon did some very slight ageing rather than any kind of full on relicing. I wouldn't want a relic personally.

23 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

How do you decide which to play?

Probably whichever I pick up first. One is a gnat's heavier than the other but neither weight very much. Very much on a par with the '66 on which they're based. In theory I wanted them to be identical. Goes all the way back to seeing Queen on their early tours and John Deacon with his pair of sunburst Precisions (as they were then).

27 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Gorgeous basses! :x

Yes, fwoaar... :)

I wonder if one will be almost indescribably better than the other - like in the past when F1 teams had two cars per driver, the drivers always had a favorite chassis although they were supposed to be identical.

Teebs likes car analogies when we're talking about basses. 😀

Edited by Ricky 4000

They had their first outing on Saturday night and I was just blown away by them. The closest I can get is to say it was almost as though I been playing with the handbrake on up until now.

The pickups are amazing, loads of clarity and punch right across the frequencies, thunderous lows and wonderfully articulate highs. These things are just awesome basses.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2019 at 12:24, Steve Browning said:

Goes all the way back to seeing Queen on their early tours and John Deacon with his pair of sunburst Precisions (as they were then).

John Deacon liked sunburst?! 

Well if it's good enough for him... 😄 

Congrats on the new basses. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roger said:

Hey Steve, I bought one of your MIJ precision’s, those looks fabulous, hey when are you in the gluepot, Swindon next?

Hi. Hope the bass is giving good service?

I'm actually there on Friday. The guy who built the basses (Simon) is in that band too so he'll hear them in anger for the first time too.