Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Mini Jazz Bass - Bass of Doom - Fretless - with ABS case
£170
Llanfyllin

Aidan63

Something a little different/silly/why ?

Do you have an Aron Hodek in your family (as seen on Norman's Rare Guitars YouTube channel) or just fancy a dinky fretless noodling bass? 

2014 built Jack & Denny Mini Jazz bass, three colour sunburst gloss finish poplar body, rosewood fretboard, de-fretted with sycamore veneer inserts in the fret slots, on a maple neck with satin finish, tortoise scratch plate removed (included, still has protective film on and screws) for that Jaco look, fitted with Rotosound TruBass RS88S short scale black nylon tape wound strings and a push pull volume pot on the neck pickup giving you the series/parallel tone option (original mini pot included). Vintage strap buttons fitted with leather washers. 29" scale length, 38mm at nut, 3.04Kg = 6.7lb. 103cm overall length. Scaled size open tuners work okay, bbot bridge, volume, volume, tone all pretty normal passive Jazz setup.

DV247 online store link

Bass is in good overall condition, a couple of very minor varnish drips on back of headstock and marks to finish edge of fretboard where I originally tried to do a poly varnish finish on the fretboard which didn't work so the board was sanded back to wood and oiled. 20" radius as it was when fretted. There are two holes in the front of the headstock where a string tree was once fitted, unnecessarily once the fretboard was slotted above the new low home made bone nut, and there are three holes in the body where a different bridge was fitted visible below the ball ends. I moved the control plate a little to avoid having the larger pot hard against the body aperture instead of clearancing the aperture.

When I bought the bass from DV247 it had been opened and inspected and supposedly had a 'special pro setup', (may have been QC inspection on a batch or as I suspect it was a customer return) the nut had been adjusted and cut too low on the D and G strings instead of straightening the neck so there was some fret buzz when I reduced the neck relief. I wasn't going to send it back to Germany for that on a £70 instrument so decided instead to do the de-fret and build a Jaco Bass of Doom out of it, but I haven't 'relic'ed it. I tried the original steel strings very briefly but the rosewood is too soft for that so I fitted the tape wounds which actually are really nice to play and sound great. The original YM ceramic pickups are reasonably hot and it does sound like a Jazz, solo the bridge pickup and it does a pretty passable Jaco sound. If you can do a Epoxy finish or similar then you could use harder strings, but the tape wounds worked fine for me. The nut should be fine with an epoxy finish if you don't go too thick, if you don't you may even want to cut it a little lower.

It fits perfectly in the Gator XL Electric Guitar hard case, which is in as new condition and includes the keys. If you don't want the case then I can ship the bass on it's own, and we can negotiate the price. Otherwise price includes UK courier shipping in hard case. Collection from Llanfyllin mid Wales knock off £25.

Apologies for the poor photos the camera had to use flash as it's been like dusk here all afternoon. Thanks for looking.

WP_20190310_001.jpg

WP_20190310_002.jpg

WP_20190310_003.jpg

WP_20190310_004.jpg

WP_20190310_007.jpg

WP_20190310_010.jpg

WP_20190310_011.jpg

WP_20190310_012.jpg

Edited by Aidan63
SOLD
  • Like 1