Why become a member? ×

4 string B-E-A-D anyone?

Soledad

Any particular issues? Checked string tensions off D'Addario site, on a 45 - 130 set the B is lower load on neck than top G so that should be OK. Bridge saddle adjusting far enough back?

So far as I know, pups are just pups with a conductor cutting flux. Can't really see the active pre-amp being a significant issue. Thought I'd buy a 5 string set and try it, can always use the top 4 and go back to normal. Not on a posh bass of course, just in case.

Has anyone done this and anything odd to watch out for?

All my basses are set up like this, there's no real issues or anything to be concerned about, the only thing that isn't easily reversible and a little tricky is adjusting the nut but i've got pretty handy at this over the last few years, i have a set of files for the right gauges i use. On the rare occasions ive needed standard tuning ive actually not had a problem using the nuts ive widened but really if you go back it would be better to change the nut as you could run into some rattling issues.

As you say pups are pups and preamps are preamps, and there's no risk to the neck so go for it.

Edited by Bearfist
  • Like 1

Excellent, thanks all. Bearfist - hadn't thought of the nut! I'm thinking of doing this to a fairly modest bass, and I'd seen elsewhere here one of the makers formin a nut from brass. I think I could manage that and do a nut-switch - after all we could both do with one anyway.

I'll report back but it may be a while.

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Out of interest, what was he playing to use those 🙂

I don't know the strings (I would guess it was the bottom 4 of a 5 string set) but the instrument was a regular Fender Jazz bass.

We've never discussed it so I don't know what made him set up his bass in this way.

• Like 1

Thanks all - It's worth a go for me I think. I often find I want that low D, sometimes the C. And broadly speaking the G is the string I like least of the std 4 - I suppose I emerged from the deep dark part of the lake, or summat :)

• Like 1

I re-strung my Jazz Aerodyne BEAD with the cheapest D'Addario rounds with no problem, not even at the nut, and she sounds good. I'd have been a bit nervous of doing anything irreversible to a rather special bass, but didn't need to. 

4 always feels like something's missing, but I'd rather let go of my G-string than my bottom end 😉 Sometimes the Jazz just looks and feels right for a particular gig - and she's too gorgeous not to gig now and then 🙂 

• Like 4

I do this with all my 4 strings. Nowadays I only have one, an Epiphone Viola which, despite its 30.5" scale length, gets the BEAD treatment anyway. I also have a P-style thomann kit bass I've been modifying thru' time. It used to be a 4 string, also strung BEAD from day zero (either for use anywhere an "acoustic" bass is needed or SansAmped to hell and back for picked punk/HC stuff). This is one of it's final stages as a 4-string (after that video I added an S1 switch, then made it into a 5 string wth a distressed red finish, with the tone control back on -had lost it when I added the J pickup-).

If playing 5ers did anything to me that's making me a LOW bass player (I totally let it change me). I too wood rather lose the G string than my low B.

Edited by andruca

When I need a low B, BEAD is exactly the route I take. I’ve got one of my Stingrays that’s all set ready to go, it’s in EADG most of the time with out any issues, change the strings, quick set up and off it goes. If I’m needing to go that low then odds are I won’t miss the G. For me there are only four strings on a bass (not that I’m knocking anyone who does, it’s just not for me) it works for me anyways! 

All of the above really.  I don't believe the nuts on budget basses are cut particularly well, so the strings should ride OK; the key things are going to be in the bridge and machines.

I'd just make sure that the bridge will allow the B-string through the entry hole and that it has enough clearance to roll the saddle back to allow the bass to intonate.  Make sure the posts on your machines are wide enough to allow for the B-string too.

• Like 1