Why become a member? ×

Tal Wilkenfeld is Killing Me

miles'tone

I got to admit I liked the bass sound, although I wouldn't be one I'd use all the time. Unfortunately everything else about this "song" was horrible.

I've also come to the conclusion that these bits of music (Vulfpeck, Snarky Puppy, Dirty Loops etc.) are done as videos because if it was audio only 99% of the audience would be looking something to listen to after less than 30 seconds, as the music on its own isn't enough to hold most people's attention.

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I got to admit I liked the bass sound, although I wouldn't be one I'd use all the time. Unfortunately everything else about this "song" was horrible.

I've also come to the conclusion that these bits of music (Vulfpeck, Snarky Puppy, Dirty Loops etc.) are done as videos because if it was audio only 99% of the audience would be looking something to listen to after less than 30 seconds, as the music on its own isn't enough to hold most people's attention.

It was actually filmed as they recorded a live radio session. I found the whole session last night:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm afraid Tal's killing me too.

I so wanted to like her venture fronting her own band but i find her voice irritating at times. Her Alanis Morisette similarities are evident as are the late Dolores O’Riordan influences, frankly she doesn't have the melodic pallette which shows in her sometimes vague and aimless melodies. Fair play to her for having a crack on her own and i get why....she is undeniably an awesome bass player and musician and as said in earlier posts her stuff with Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colaiuta is excellent.

I really liked that. I heard all sorts of influences (a touch of Discipline-era Crimson in that first song) but she also sounds, well, like herself. I sometimes struggle with a whole album of singer-songwriter material as it can often sound very samey.  There's also a bit of a limit to the amount of angst that I can handle in one sitting. But there's enough here to make me think that there might be enough variety to sustain a whole CD.

I like her voice, i liked the songs and arrangements and i loved the bass.

I'm certainly going to give the CD a go.

Thanks Miles'tone for posting the full session!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I like this tune much better than anything I've heard from those three bands. Vive la difference!

But OTOH, I very rarely watch the video portion of YouTube music clips. Good music takes my mental imagery to much different places than cheesy vids, at least hopefully.

I like her voice on this track - not keen on either the bass sound or the track itself, I kept expecting it to resolve out of the dissonant parts into a coherent chorus but the chorus was just as dissonant, then when it hit the widdly middle 8 I lost the will to continue.

Quite liked that up to about 3 minutes in then it fell apart for me, and nearly for her I think! I can see where the AIC/Soundgarden comparisons are coming from, and unfortunately the Alanis Morissette thing too...

I enjoyed that. I'd certainly be intrigued to hear more of her stuff - thanks for sharing!

I had to stop watching the video though, as every time the camera angle showed the paraphernalia in front of Ms Wilkenfeld, I found myself peering at the bottom of the screen thinking "I'm sure Mrs Mooseblaster has a water bottle like that..."

• Haha 1

Re. the OP track:

I get the Alanis references (circa Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie sounds about right), and the Soundgarden references. Not so sure I agree but I can see where people are coming from.

Nice song well played (and she has a perfectly good singing voice), but as I said the last time a Tal Wilkenfeld thread came up a couple of months ago, it's not doing much for me. She's Tal Wilkenfeld so success at some level is pretty much assured (and I wish her well with it), but not for me.

Edited by leftybassman392

• 3 months later...

I really like this album - she has a voice that really pulls on me, and yeah she has described it as an album about getting over bad relationships.

She does have a much earlier solo album - but it's instrumentals (very cool noodling though, she really can play.)

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

I quite like it, kind of reminds me somewhat of a folk version, and obviously not trio, version of Adrian Belew Power Trio, and well, obviously with female vocals.

...Maybe not, guess what I am just trying to say is that it got a great sort of angular jazzy progressive folk vibe going on.

But yeah, as somewhat pointed out, great bass play, but horrible tone, almost nothing but fundamentals, a bit more harmonic content, so you didn't have to struggle to hear the bass when not playing the D or G string would have been nice, far from enough to ruin the song though, which still sounds great.

A regular violin/beatles bass would have given the same overall vibe, but a better tone, I think.

And I for one think she has a great voice, and put it to great use as well.

For those who think it sounds like Sound Garden, Alice in Chains or Alanis Morissette....

Just what the !?!... :scratch_one-s_head:

And I think your frame of reference might be the issue here, to get the music.

I also don't think it has much in common with Joni Mitchell, beside being jazzy folk (it's kind of like saying Metalica sounds like Slayer).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

My non-expert verdict: I think the composition is interesting, with some unusual chord changes. I think it works nicely. She has a voice that doesn't match her youthful look. I actually like it though. Awesome bass and nice deep tone. Guitar and drums were a bit too high in the mix for my liking. That's about it.

😎

On 10/03/2019 at 17:31, 4000 said:

Instrumentation aside it has a vaguely Soundgarden/Alice in chains or similar feel to it to me, a bit early 90s. 

It could have come from “Jagged Little Pill” sessions and I wouldn’t have been surprised.

Not for me - I just think that stabbing guitar sounds bad, and it’s too loud.