Why become a member? ×

Fitting normal strings to headless Status Bass

Hi - just bought a beautiful Status Empathy 5 string headless.

I have been happily using Elixir coated strings for years and they last a very long time before they lose their brightness so I'd like to continue to use these on my headless Status.

The grub screws came supplied with the bass but I'm just after guidance as how to fit the strings using the grub screws before I wreck an entire set of strings!

Do I simply hook a string into the bridge, pull the string under the grub screw at the headstock end and pull it so it is straight, then tighten the grub screw and cut off the excess string - is it that simple?

Or do I cut them to rough length first?

Don't particularly want to have 5 very sharp string ends sticking out the end of the bass either.

Any comments welcome!

Edited by Gary Williams

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2019 at 12:17, bazzbass said:

if you can, cut the string after tightening the grub screw. Wish I had that option with my Hohner B2A, finding double ball ended strings was a pain back in the day before the internet

Have you seen https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinberger-String-Adapter-Headless-Hohner-Cort-Bass-or-Guitar-Made-in-USA/323740864560?

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 08:53, tauzero said:

sold that bass in 1997,  no internet then. Just our local music shop and Guitar and Bass Player magazines hehe, and NO online string shops of course.....kids these days.....don't know how easy they have it