Why become a member? ×

Barneyg42, RIP

Leese

12 hours ago, seashell said:

Silvia, that anecdote reminds me of one time when I was chatting to Colin at a SE bash. I was looking at his headless bass and I asked him how you tune it. He said 'A lot of people ask me that. It's easy, all you have to do is rotate these little twiddly things down here'. 

Then he suddenly looked a bit concerned and said 'Don't think I'm patronising you and calling them 'twiddly things' because you wouldn't understand the correct term. I don't actually know what they're called myself!!' 😁 

It made me smile. Such a lovely guy. 

Oh, thank you for posting this. It made me laugh. And then cry. And then laugh again. It's so him - I can imagine him saying it. I can also imagine him welcoming all the newbies to the bass bashes. He was never one to leave someone standing in the corner on their own - he loved to welcome people into the fold.

While I'm here, I'd like to say something.

Firstly, I just want to thank everyone for posting their lovely memories and tributes. Please keep them coming, they're so comforting. It's so good to see that he was loved and held in high regard by the community.

Barney, or Colin as you all know him (still weird!), was my partner for 11 years, from 1993-2004, and we remained very close friends after we split up. Sympathies at the moment lie - quite rightly - elsewhere, with his beloved fiancee Kim, who was his rock for the last five years of his life, and all his friends and bandmates. As such, a space to talk about his passing that doesn't encroach upon their grief has been difficult for me for me to find. 

With that in mind, I want to thank you all very much for allowing me this platform to talk about and remember him when none of you know me from Adam. I appreciate it very much.

• Like 9

Thank you for all your posts, and especially this last one, Lisa. I didn't know your story. Now my thoughts are with you as well.

Colin introduced himself as Colin when we newby Basschatters met him, and those of us on FB also knew him by his real name. What matters is that we're talking about the same lovely guy we all lost. :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Thank you for all your posts, and especially this last one, Lisa. I didn't know your story. Now my thoughts are with you as well.

Colin introduced himself as Colin when we newby Basschatters met him, and those of us on FB also knew him by his real name. What matters is that we're talking about the same lovely guy we all lost. :(

Oh, absolutely. It's just a nickname he gave himself about a thousand years ago when we first got together that stuck (from Barney Gumble, of Simpsons fame) and I don't think I ever called him Colin again after that. Hence "barneyg" in all his usernames, and the 42 came from Level 42, of whom we were both big fans. Naturally :)

Thank you for your kind thoughts. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

That's our Colin! (Or Barney...) ;)

Yeah, there was more than a passing resemblence, he would have been the first to admit it too 😂

Talking of Level 42: Sadly not a good quality picture, but here we are outside Colston Hall, Bristol, with Mark King, on the final '94 tour, back in the day when Colin still had hair (and several thousand curries ago, for me, clearly; I couldn't get into that t-shirt now if my life depended on it). He had all that lovely hair cut off one day when I was at work without telling me he was going to do it - the first I knew of it was when he sent me a picture of the #1 buzz cut. The rotten sod 😂

Funny story from that gig: This was when we were living in Exeter and he was playing in Goliath, mentioned earlier. Everyone knew him on the local music scene back in Devon and we literally couldn't go out for a pint without *someone* coming up to him and talking to him. So there we were, outside Colston Hall after the gig, at about midnight, waiting for the band, miles away from home, when this little voice pops up from the other side of the crowd: "Oi, mate. You're in Goliath, aren't you!!"

I couldn't take him anywhere 😂

1923834_25759005307_3203_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Leese said:

Oh, absolutely. It's just a nickname he gave himself about a thousand years ago when we first got together that stuck (from Barney Gumble, of Simpsons fame) and I don't think I ever called him Colin again after that. Hence "barneyg" in all his usernames, and the 42 came from Level 42, of whom we were both big fans. Naturally :)

Thank you for your kind thoughts. 

Thanks for sharing these stories about Colin, @Leese..

They're really good to hear in the circumstances being a sort of reaffirmation and celebration all at the same time! 

All the best, 

Nik 

• Like 4

Hi Folks, for anyone interested and able to attend Colin's funeral, I just saw this on Facebook:

"Dear friends of Colin,

I am greatly humbled by the outpouring of support, love and kindness you’ve displayed over the past ten days. 
Colin; your friend and my partner was one of a kind and is already missed so much. I’m still in disbelief that he’s gone. 

Colin’s funeral will be held at Woking Crematorium, Hermitage Road Woking GU21 8TJ on Wednesday, 3rd April at 3pm, with a wake/celebration of his life afterwards at Brookwood Club, Connaught Road, Brookwood Woking. GU24 0HJ.

Anybody wishing to send floral tributes, can you please send to The Co-Operative Funeralcare, Unit 1, 5 High Street, Knaphill, Woking Surrey GU21 2PG.

I would like to thank you all for your kindness and overwhelming generosity with your donations. We can now give Colin the send off he deserves. 

With Love, Kim. Xx"

News from Kim this morning about a venue change:

"*CHANGE OF VENUE FOR COLIN’S WAKE/CELEBRATION*

Due to growing numbers I have had to change the venue. It will now be held at Pyrford Social Club, Coldharbour Road, Pyrford Surrey. GU22 8SP. Asylum Affair will be playing and hopefully some of Colin’s Muso friends will also bring instruments to give him the send off he would of loved!

Please share.

Kim xx"

• Like 3