Why become a member? ×

Barneyg42, RIP

Leese

Hello all - I hope this post isn't against the rules in any way, but Colin's bandmates have set up a fundraiser to help pay for his funeral expenses.

If anyone would like to contribute the link is as follows and all donations are being very gratefully received by his partner and friends.

https://www.gofundme.com/wake-for-our-friend-colin-payne

Many thanks.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Leese said:

Hello all - I hope this post isn't against the rules in any way, but Colin's bandmates have set up a fundraiser to help pay for his funeral expenses.

If anyone would like to contribute the link is as follows and all donations are being very gratefully received by his partner and friends.

Many thanks.

That's no problem Leese. Please let us know what the arrangements are and hopefully a BC contingent will be there to pay their respects.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rich said:

I only met Colin once, when he bought my fretless JD back in the late 18th century

Colin was always very entertained by this, and in particular the way bassists would do business with their gear, meeting up by the roadside to exchange instruments and cash and do swaps, so that wasn't the only time he did that. He thought all that sort of stuff, all the wheeling and dealing, was brilliant. One night he left home with a Jaydee, got in the car, drove to somewhere random on the A30, met a bloke a in a layby, and came home with a Status instead (at least I think it was a Status, although anno domini is dulling the memory slightly).

He was also a fantastic rock bassist who, through genuine modesty, had absolutely no idea how good he was. When I met him about a thousand years ago, he was playing in a 4-piece rock covers band in Exeter called Goliath and they were really well-respected on the local scene; their gigs were always packed and his personality, both on and off stage, had a *lot* to do with that. If talent was anything to go by he would have been a lot more successful in the business than he was. But it wasn't about that for him - he always loved being a weekend warrior. He was the embodiment of that meme: "A musician is someone who loads £5k worth of gear into a £500 car and drives 50 miles for a £5 gig". To him, gigging was about the local scene - pubs, bike rallies, great crowds and great times - but most importantly his mates. The absolute flood of tributes that have poured in since yesterday, not only from his bandmates past and present but from people he met and made happy in the course of his playing is testament to exactly who he was in that respect, and it's been heartwarming to see all the lovely things people have said, although I can't believe we're all talking about him in the past tense.

He was the life and soul, the salt of the earth, a gentle giant who everyone loved, and I loved him dearly too. Below is my favourite picture of him, taken at a Goliath gig in 1993 at Vines in Exeter. We tie-dyed those leggings with bleach in the washing up bowl and the t-shirt had a giant duck on it, which sums up his approach to stage gear quite nicely :)

Throughout his last illness he was determined to get well enough to resume playing.  He was also due to get married to his long-term partner, Kim, who he adored. I'm beyond sad for him that he never made it out of hospital to do either, and I shall miss him more than words can say.

10375507_1036694989704621_6419398429781232094_n.jpg

Edited by Leese
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, Leese said:

Colin was always very entertained by this, and in particular the way bassists would do business with their gear, meeting up by the roadside to exchange instruments and cash and do swaps, so that wasn't the only time he did that. He thought all that sort of stuff, all the wheeling and dealing, was brilliant. One night he left home with a Jaydee, got in the car, drove to somewhere random on the A30, met a bloke a in a layby, and came home with a Status instead (at least I think it was a Status, although anno domini is dulling the memory slightly).

He was also a fantastic rock bassist who, through genuine modesty, had absolutely no idea how good he was. When I met him about a thousand years ago, he was playing in a 4-piece rock covers band in Exeter called Goliath and they were really well-respected on the local scene; their gigs were always packed and his personality, both on and off stage, had a *lot* to do with that. If talent was anything to go by he would have been a lot more successful in the business than he was. But it wasn't about that for him - he always loved being a weekend warrior. He was the embodiment of that meme: "A musician is someone who loads £5k worth of gear into a £500 car and drives 50 miles for a £5 gig". To him, gigging was about the local scene - pubs, bike rallies, great crowds and great times - but most importantly his mates. The absolute flood of tributes that have poured in since yesterday, not only from his bandmates past and present but from people he met and made happy in the course of his playing is testament to exactly who he was in that respect, and it's been heartwarming to see all the lovely things people have said, although I can't believe we're all talking about him in the past tense.

He was the life and soul, the salt of the earth, a gentle giant who everyone loved, and I loved him dearly too. Below is my favourite picture of him, taken at a Goliath gig in 1993 at Vines in Exeter. We tie-dyed those leggings with bleach in the washing up bowl and the t-shirt had a giant duck on it, which sums up his approach to stage gear quite nicely :)

Throughout his last illness he was determined to get well enough to resume playing.  He was also due to get married to his long-term partner, Kim, who he adored. I'm beyond sad for him that he never made it out of hospital to do either, and I shall miss him more than words can say.

10375507_1036694989704621_6419398429781232094_n.jpg

A heartfelt tribute to a well liked fella...Never had the pleasure of meeting him or chatting here as many of you did.

RIP Colin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leese said:

Many thanks.

Donation made..

• Like 2

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I was lucky enough to meet Colin at some SE bass bashes and also went to see his band a couple of times. He was a tremendous player with a big personality on stage.

He was such a friendly and funny guy. The kind of bloke who leaves you with a big smile on your face.

I'm heartbroken for his family and his fiancée, they must be devastated.

Enjoy the great gig in the sky, Colin. xx 

• Like 4

Some people make the world a better place just by being in it. Although i didn't know him, it's clear that Colin was one of them.

Condolences to his family and friends. May he find his dream rig waiting for him wherever he's gone.

RIP Colin

• Like 4

Damn, saw this on FB. So sad. I met Colin at the 2012 SE Bash, my first. I was sitting in a corner of the Auditorium, with my then newly acquired fretless Rockbass Corvette 5 which I wanted to test with someone's proper cab because its output sounded very weak on my practice amp. Only I didn't know many people in the room, so I was just standing there wondering what to do. Colin saw me, asked if I was OK, then immediately offered to plug my bass in his rig. He actually also played the bass for me (upside down), just to make sure it wasn't my then rather beginner-like playing that made it sound so weedy. (It wasn't.)

We became FB friends the following day, and followed each other on there, and saw each other at a couple of other bashes. Then his health deteriorated, his mum died, but Kim remained by his side to the end. My thoughts go out to her especially. Love you Colin. :(

Epic Saturday 061_edited.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Silvia, that anecdote reminds me of one time when I was chatting to Colin at a SE bash. I was looking at his headless bass and I asked him how you tune it. He said 'A lot of people ask me that. It's easy, all you have to do is rotate these little twiddly things down here'. 

Then he suddenly looked a bit concerned and said 'Don't think I'm patronising you and calling them 'twiddly things' because you wouldn't understand the correct term. I don't actually know what they're called myself!!' 😁 

It made me smile. Such a lovely guy. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Damn, saw this on FB. So sad. I met Colin at the 2012 SE Bash, my first. I was sitting in a corner of the Auditorium, with my then newly acquired fretless Rockbass Corvette 5 which I wanted to test with someone's proper cab because its output sounded very weak on my practice amp. Only I didn't know many people in the room, so I was just standing there wondering what to do. Colin saw me, asked if I was OK, then immediately offered to plug my bass in his rig. He actually also played the bass for me (upside down), just to make sure it wasn't my then rather beginner-like playing that made it sound so weedy. (It wasn't.)

We became FB friends the following day, and followed each other on there, and saw each other at a couple of other bashes. Then his health deteriorated, his mum died, but Kim remained by his side to the end. My thoughts go out to her especially. Love you Colin. :(

Epic Saturday 061_edited.JPG

That's the Colin I will remember. A great big bear of a guy, who gave the best hugs and loved everyone and never had a bad word to say about the people he encountered.

(It's so odd hearing everyone calling him Colin. He was Barney to me for 26 years)

• Like 2