Why become a member? ×

Barneyg42, RIP

Leese

Dear Basschatters

To all who knew him - I'm afraid Colin (barneyg42) passed away this morning. He had been poorly for a long time.

I have no information about any funeral arrangements yet, but will keep people posted.

He really enjoyed this forum.

Thanks,

Leese

• Sad 11

Sad news today that Barney42 - AKA Colin Payne sadly passed on today. He'd been quite unwell for some time but was always talking about getting back on stage.  Colin was a lovely, warm and friendly chap and a pretty mean bass player too. I went to see him in hospital last weekend with Bassforradio where we managed to have a chat with Colin - he was still logging into Basschat during his final days.

My deepest condolences to his friends, his band members and family.

Colin

colin payne.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 18

My condolences to Colin's family and friends.
He was an important BC member for me when I started on BC. I'd noticed he posted less the last couple of years, but had no idea it might be related to his health.
A sad loss.

Rest in peace, Colin.

• Like 2

Oh hell, this is dreadful & shocking news. I knew he was ill but I had no idea it was this serious. I only met Colin once, when he bought my fretless JD back in the late 18th century, but he was always a friendly presence here and on Facebook. The number of tributes to him on FB are a measure of the guy's popularity and the affection people had for him.

I offer my sincere and heartfelt condolences to all who knew and loved him.

• Like 3

Such lovely comments.

I'm still a bit lost for words so I hope nobody thinks I'm being rude by not individually replying to them.

He was the best, and a light has gone out in the world today.

Edited by Leese
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Oh dear. Like many I had no idea his condition was so serious.

I met Colin a few times at SE Bashes and when he popped in to collect some cables.  Always pleasant and jovial and a great player to boot.

A very sad loss to both his friends and family and our local music scene.  RIP Colin

• Like 4