Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Baby 2: help/recommended heads?

Misowaki

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well to be fair, i said I had the amp flat, not that the tone was flat. I realise all knobs at noon is not always flat, but it does work as a reference point when hooked up to other cabs, or using other basses. Keeps the playing field even. 

IMO the cab is just part of the tone chain. 

Did cutting the lows and boosting the midrange not work with the BB2?

Well, I got my SVT 7 yesterday...

Killer. It's the sound I've always wanted. Love that I can turn the horn off and have that warm, punchy sound I've always wanted but never quite had. I mean, I always dug the sound the Portaflex rig put out but it was never like this.

Can't imagine needing a 2nd any time soon. I practically have to bolt everything down in my music room if I have it above 10 o'clock. Also handles sub octaves on the E (with my Octabvre!) like nothing I've ever played through.

I imagine I'd poo myself with anything more.

9 hours ago, Misowaki said:

.. Also handles sub octaves on the E (with my Octabvre!) like nothing I've ever played through.

I imagine I'd poo myself with anything more.

Good result you are sorted.

FYI - a sub octave below the low open E is around 20 Hz which is at the boundary of human hearing, and would require immense power (eg typically a 2000W+ RMS amp) to meaningfully cut through at such low frequency, AND a speaker that is geared to handle such lows (we are talking about dedicated sub-woofers here). 20 Hz is well below the bottom end of the BB2's f-response. 

Much more likely that you're actually hearing the first or second harmonic of the sub octave when you are playing the bottom end of the bass notes with any octaver. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So what please, dear chap, for the uninitiated like me is a 'fast transient'? 

The transient part of the note occurs right at the start. It is the initial blast of energy put into the string. Very often it is not truly pitched at all, being the sound of the percussive strike you give the string with your finger, pick, or thumb or whatever. 

It is louder than the following phases, obviously if you think about it, and can be over in just a few milliseconds.

However it is a very important part of the timbre of the entire note. It alone can lend a note a bright tone verses a dark tone, psychoacoustics band all that.

Cabs without tweeters tend to struggle with fast transients, slapping Vs Fingerle has a much faster and larger transient. 

This is how you can use a limiter to change the perceived brightness of a note for instance, it can significantly reduce the level of the transient without changing the level of the rest of the note...

• Thanks 1

@51m0n that's a very good explanation thanks!

It also explains the relatively "dull" timbre I'm hearing from my BF SC (no tweeter and f-response cap of 4kHz) with some of my basses, and why the BB2 could well be my lightweight one cab solution to that issue for me (although I know some have achieved a similarly good result with BF SC + BF SM cabs combined). 

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It also explains the relatively "dull" timbre I'm hearing from my BF SC (no tweeter and f-response cap of 4kHz) with some of my basses, and why the BB2 could well be my lightweight one cab solution to that issue for me (although I know some have achieved a similarly good result with BF SC + BF SM cabs combined). 

It's just one more piece in the puzzle. Clearly a tweeter adds loads of top end extension too, but as well as that it helps reproduce the transient more accurately.

If that's a sound you dig then it's important 🙂

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The transient response of the Barefaced drivers is excellent. I would be surprised if that was the cause of any tone issues. I think you’re missing the sound of the high frequency compression driver/tweeter. 4K cutoff is a little low for my tastes as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I've not been able to hear that high for a decade or more so a SC is fine and dandy for me :) 

29 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

+1 ☺

Bless you both and thank gawd for that!

Your hearing loss is my gain: otherwise I'd potentially have no market for my SC when I wanted to move it on, would I? 😁