Why become a member? ×

Who makes a good mic stand these days?

Moos3h

4 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

A word of warning about Studiospares stands. I just orders another three after years of good service of the four I have. they have changed their design and there is a fault with the new design. One had failed in the box the second failed last night at the same point and the one I haven't used yet is showing signs of the same fault. I'm chasing this up with Studiospares and they are being helpful but until they have this sorted DON'T BUY!!

What is this fault of which you talk?

The plastic insert which acts as a clutch on the base of the stand also holds a captive nut which the winged bolt screws into. The little tabs which hold the nut break off as they are simply too weak to hold the weight of the base. The nut and bolt no longer hold the base on and it falls off the end of the stand pulling the whole plastic moulding out of the base. You can bodge it all back together but it will only hold whist everything is tight. Loosen it off to pack the legs up and put the stand away and it all falls apart again. It looks to me as if there may be a slot moulded into the metal part of the base which took a square nut, but the supplied nut is hexagonal and too big to fit into that slot.

The boom arm is also lighter guage than the original booms but that isn't really an issue as they are plenty strong enough to hold a mic.

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

The plastic insert which acts as a clutch on the base of the stand also holds a captive nut which the winged bolt screws into. The little tabs which hold the nut break off as they are simply too weak to hold the weight of the base. The nut and bolt no longer hold the base on and it falls off the end of the stand pulling the whole plastic moulding out of the base. You can bodge it all back together but it will only hold whist everything is tight. Loosen it off to pack the legs up and put the stand away and it all falls apart again. It looks to me as if there may be a slot moulded into the metal part of the base which took a square nut, but the supplied nut is hexagonal and too big to fit into that slot.

The boom arm is also lighter guage than the original booms but that isn't really an issue as they are plenty strong enough to hold a mic.

You know what, this sounds familiar to the second batch of mic stands I bought. Will check out when I next get them out 

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

At the best of times, injection moulded plastic is not a substitute for metal alloy if you want it to last.  That you had a failure right out of the box shows that, in this case, some accountant somewhere has shaved a bit too much off of the cost of raw materials and ended up ruining a good product before it even gets to the end user.  Why use sub-standard parts?  Because it's a bl**dy rip-off, that's why.

Furthermore - Any manufacturer who puts chrome plated plastic parts into an assembly looses all chances of further business from me.  Those nasty control knobs, like on my Laney RB3, are an example.  Once bitten forever shy.

/rant.

29 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Furthermore - Any manufacturer who puts chrome plated plastic parts into an assembly looses all chances of further business from me.  Those nasty control knobs, like on my Laney RB3, are an example.  Once bitten forever shy.

/rant.

I can understand why chrome is falling out of favour as it’s a complete nightmare for the environment - but it’s about the designers accept chrome was yesteryear and adapt... not do that crappy fake chrome that you mention.

I'm going to be optimistic about Studiospares and I'm not really worried about a refund. They've been great in the past.

I've written to them, sent photos and they have acknowledged the problem. I've since written and asked what they are going to do about what seems to be a faulty batch. I'll come back here and report anything they say. I have a friend who deals with Chinese imports, he says a major problem is that they alter designs without discussion with the client, often adding unwanted 'improvements' It may be they were unaware of the problem. 

Edited by Phil Starr

I've just bought one. It's had one gigsworth of use so far and is in the garage so won't be able to check it till tomorrow, although it sounds like you can't actually see the problem until it all falls apart.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, looking at K&M stuff now - the PA company we use has them and they seem hard wearing.

Trouble is, there are still a few different sorts available!  I just want a metal boom to hold my standard dynamic mics.  So many options!

Anyone familiar with the model numbers, and which one is best bang for buck?

26 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Right, looking at K&M stuff now - the PA company we use has them and they seem hard wearing.

Trouble is, there are still a few different sorts available!  I just want a metal boom to hold my standard dynamic mics.  So many options!

Anyone familiar with the model numbers, and which one is best bang for buck?

I would tell you, however, my K&M mike stand is still to arrive. There were apparently  two attempted deliveries on Friday (we did not want to leave the parcel unattended - let me see, the two times you tried to deliver had 1) my wife, the cleaners, the gardener and wife's personal trainer in and around the house and 2) my wife, the dishwasher repairman and the farmer than rents my land in the house - :facepalm: I can see why you were afraid to leave it unattended.). The courier company is not even listed on the Amazon links and so I cannot chase for redelivery or even collection.

Sorry rant over, but i need the stand for Sunday and needed to vent.

15 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Which model number did you get?  God I’m sounding sad.

If it is any help I eventually bought the K&M 21090, the one with the telescopic boom arm. There's a slightly cheaper one which is the basic stand with a simpler boom, both are excellent. I paid £107 for a pack of three (no sniggering amongst the older members).

• Thanks 1

Thanks Phil!  I think I’m beginning to understand their numbers now!  210 is the version that’s been around for yonks, the last two digits relate to the boom.  I’ll get the 210/2 on Thomann (and some nice stands and maybe a cahon!)

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Thanks Phil!  I think I’m beginning to understand their numbers now!  210 is the version that’s been around for yonks, the last two digits relate to the boom.  I’ll get the 210/2 on Thomann (and some nice stands and maybe a cahon!)

The 210/2 is the one I bought a few weeks ago. I've only gigged with it a few times but it has been very sturdy so far. The cast base boss means it has a little weight to it - not too much that it's a lug to carry it, more that it won't go flying with the slightest knock. No boom droop either, it's rock solid.

• Thanks 1