Why become a member? ×

Who makes a good mic stand these days?

Moos3h

2 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

I bought a Tama MS205 boom stand in 2000, have used it lot's and it still looks pretty new! They're not cheap at about £60 but worth it and long lasting. Tama MS205

We have a couple of Tama stands at work. We have had them for maybe 20 years. They are not in their first flush of youth but are the only ones my students have not managed to break. 

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Konig and Meyer https://www.k-m.de/en although I use Studiospares mic stands which are kind of clones as they are about a third of the price. You can get spares for either.

This. K&M sell all spares, so you can always fix them. I have 8. The oldest one - my Trigger's Broom K&M - has been going strong for 40 odd years. Studiospares are decent budget stands, but not in the same class as K&M. K&M make for the likes of Beyer (and are cheaper), too. Buy nice or buy twice.

I was going to buy a Hercules mic stand but then saw one standing abandoned in the corner of a rehearsal room with the height adjuster thingy broken.  As that seemed a big draw it was a deal breaker.  Bought a K&M and probably won't need to buy another.

I'm happy with the Studiospares ones. My duo partner has the K&M and next to each other you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Apart from the rubber feet both are all metal construction. the finish of the K&M is better there are nicer bolts in places and the screw threads on the sliding grip is better cut, just attention to detail mainly. The clamp on the tilting grip of the Studiospares has a better grip if anything than the K&M, that may just be personal preference though. 

I've never broken my cheapies the oldest I reckon is 15 years old. Other band members have battered theirs and they are looking a bit wobbly, but that is after years. If I was in a big touring band I'd pay the extra £20 a stand for the kosher stands but for the average pub band I'd just have the Studiospares. I suppose it's a MIM versus Custom shop thing if you want an analogy.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:27, Pea Turgh said:

I was looking at mic stands this evening wondering what the best option was.  Fortuitous.

The Sound company we use have all K&M stuff, and that’s faring pretty well.  Interesting to hear Studiospares do a copy - what is the model number?

Just got a Studiospares mic stand - don't know if it's a K&M copy though. It's this one -

https://www.studiospares.com/Accessories/Stands-Mic/Studiospares-Pro-Mic-Stand-and-Telescopic-Boom_648000.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzqnf_oOC4QIVbZPtCh0Oeg4aEAQYASABEgI4pfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very good quality whatever, but especially for the price of £12.99! You can even get spare parts for them too should you need them. Well pleased with it.

While we're on this topic, I have so many things hanging off my stand these days the thing is prone to toppling over. Are there heavy weight, wide based stands? Heavy weight as opposed to heavy duty I mean. 

Or am I better off just carrying a weight? 

4 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Another shout for K&M. Had them in the bands and in the studio. Can't speak for the Studiospares clones but the K&M's are the real deal. Well worth the extra as you'll probably never need to replace them. Full range of spares available too.

This, many times over.

• 3 weeks later...

A K&M 210/2 stand arrived today. For a shade over £40 delivered from Amazon, it's a good, sturdy stand. The boom clamps in place and it feels like it's not going to dive. The stand is weighty enough to take a few knocks without being excessively heavy to carry around. Well worth the money for the quality, albeit on first impressions 

Thanks for the recommendations 

• 1 month later...

A word of warning about Studiospares stands. I just orders another three after years of good service of the four I have. they have changed their design and there is a fault with the new design. One had failed in the box the second failed last night at the same point and the one I haven't used yet is showing signs of the same fault. I'm chasing this up with Studiospares and they are being helpful but until they have this sorted DON'T BUY!!

• Thanks 1