Why become a member? ×

Bass amp advice for a newbie please!!

crazydancer

A combo is a head and driver (speaker) in one box. If there's a suitable connection on the combo you can add an extension speaker to the combo to get more grunt.  But you can't put two amps (the original and an additional head) into one driver.   

Combos are are great for practice and small gigs and portability.  But if you're looking for flexibility and bigger gigs a separate head and cab is the way to go.  

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

With a combo of 100W or less (like the Fender Rumble or an Orange Crush), would you be able to use a head with it to get some extra grunt?

No, that would not work. More likely (depending on the amp in the combo) adding an additional cab would give extra grunt. HOWEVER- there are several caveats:

1. Does combo have a speaker ‘out’ jack?

2. Impedance of internal and external speaker. What load is ideal for amp? (This whole area can get complicated, so you need to seek advice depending on the gear you are looking to buy)

3. Many combos are optimized for internal speaker.

But as for your original question - No, won’t work. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2019 at 15:29, crazydancer said:

Already seems I had duff info from our guitarist who told me 30W would be fine....

Hihi, the guy wants to hear himself louder :D

500W would do just fine. There are a lot of options, just go to the local music shop, plug in and try.

On 24/04/2019 at 10:29, bassus_play said:

Hihi, the guy wants to hear himself louder :D

500W would do just fine. There are a lot of options, just go to the local music shop, plug in and try.

LOL I think 30W is fine for a guitar amp, he knows nothing about bass amps. I bought a Fender Rumble 100W. Doing a great job so far. :) 

Edited by crazydancer
  • Like 1

100 is only good a px amp, IMHO.  I started out with a 100 and loved the tone.  Then I got in a band playing open air gigs.  Suddenly I needed 300w and am currently running on a 500w amp  thru a single 8 ohm cab, so I'm getting 350 ish, which is fine. But I couldn't do with less - and this isn't deaf metal or heavy rock.  

I've used it once for a gig and it was fine, we don't do a lot of gigs and only small ones, we have 1 open air one in June so I'll see how it gets on. The gig we did I still had plenty left in hand, (in fact had to turn down!!) the Rumbles seem to deliver more than their size and wattage would suggest from what I've heard...... For what we do, it seems fine for now. :) 

• Like 2

On 18/04/2019 at 05:45, Tubster said:

... ... - there are several caveats:

1. Does combo have a speaker ‘out’ jack?

2. Impedance of internal and external speaker. What load is ideal for amp? (This whole area can get complicated, so you need to seek advice depending on the gear you are looking to buy)

3. Many combos are optimized for internal speaker. . . . . . 

The Fender Rumble 100 :

1.  Does NOT have a speaker 'out' jack.

2. & 3.  The impedance of the internal speaker and the combo's amp are matched and optimized.  So, no DIY adding of speaker(s) is recommended.

4.  A 2nd Rumble 100, or other combo, could easily be connected to the first with an instrument cable from the 'Effects Send' of one (the Master) to the 'Effects Return' of the other.  Controls on the Master would also control the other, for simple setup with more power!

😀

500W

Bloody hell.

I have a 150W head and two 2x12 cabs. Never found a pub or small club where that wasn't loud enough. For anything bigger, I was put through the PA as well.

That said, the difference between 50W and 500W is only twice as loud; the difference between 300 and 500W is barely audible.

Having efficient speakers (which usually means separate cab) can make a bigger difference.