Why become a member? ×

First Gig, One Important Thig To Remember

stewblack

First gig with a new band tonight. Looking forward to meeting them. The only things they know about me are in the bio I sent for their web site. I have one important mantra to repeat all the way to the venue:

I do not own any PA equipment. I do not own any lights. I cannot fit anything else in my car. I don't know how to soundcheck a band.

I do not own any PA equipment. I do not own any lights. I cannot fit anything else in my car. I don't know how to soundcheck a band.

I do not own any PA equipment. I do not own any lights. I cannot fit anything else in my etc etc

Hopefully if they never find out the truth I can be in at least one band where I'm just the bass player.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

First gig with a new band tonight. Looking forward to meeting them. The only things they know about me are in the bio I sent for their web site. I have one important mantra to repeat all the way to the venue:

I do not own any PA equipment. I do not own any lights. I cannot fit anything else in my etc etc

Hopefully if they never find out the truth I can be in at least one band where I'm just the bass player.

You must be depping, if it’s the first gig and you haven’t met them yet.😀

Edited by steantval

You must know by now Stew...  You can't grow slopey shoulders.  You're either born with them or you ain't.  You'll be mucking in with the set-up and tear down before you realise it, guaranteed.

PS:  I hope you enjoy it whatever else you do.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

No, not a dep slot. I am the bassist. Met the drummer for first time tonight, singer and guitarist I met once at an open mic. 

This is so hard tonight. I've had to stop myself intervening so many times. The lead singer does not even have a monitor. I have one in my car but No! I stayed strong kept quiet. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/03/2019 at 12:49, stewblack said:

That's what I'm trying to do at the minute. 

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Ok so I lasted one gig. Ended up setting up the whole PA last night and fixing the singers 'adjustments' as the gig went on.

I did refuse to carry any of it though. Does that count?

Total fail I'm afraid 

• Like 1

Loved the gig. Only defence I have is the singer and drummer (who usually does the PA) went to the wrong venue so it was either leave it until they arrived late or set it up myself. I did make the guitarist do some too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel your pain bud, Our singer turned up to gig last night with

a) the PA unit I told him to buy

b) a pair of PA stands

c) assorted cables

I had to source the Monitors and the Lead Guitarist borrowed 2 powered speakers from his sons band.....

Guess who had to wire it all up and then get moaned at because my bass rig wasn't set up when singist wanted to do soundcheck! 🤔

You'll just have to accept your fate, I'm afraid, which, like mine, is to be the one who knows how to do that stuff. I've tried, believe me, but I just cannot stand by and watch others mess up the PA when I know how it should be done and when I also know that, if I don't sort it, the sound will be rubbish.