Why become a member? ×

Limelight Precision , Fingers vs Pick

Bill

Hey basschat, thought it would be only fair to try this bass out with a pick and A/B next to the fingerstyle tone, since i've not yet done a Precision video in this style.. i've also attached a DI recording of the fingerstyle going into Logic with no extra EQ (i'll be doing the same with the Pick so it really represents the pick tone)

• Like 4

My old Limelight P had a great range of tones, brilliant both for tone rolled off muted Motown fingerstyle, and tone full up rock and indie picking.   My USA Fender P probably has a better fundamental tone which sounds great whatever, but doesn’t have the variation of the Limelight.   Plus, of course, you can beat the utter crap outa the Limelight without worrying about dings and scratches...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MattM said:

My old Limelight P had a great range of tones, brilliant both for tone rolled off muted Motown fingerstyle, and tone full up rock and indie picking.   My USA Fender P probably has a better fundamental tone which sounds great whatever, but doesn’t have the variation of the Limelight.   Plus, of course, you can beat the utter crap outa the Limelight without worrying about dings and scratches...

I also love how light this bass is, its by far the lightest Precision i've played!

On 10/03/2019 at 17:03, Bill said:

I also love how light this bass is, its by far the lightest Precision i've played!

Great stuff Bill. Might you do some thumb style stuff, I play pretty much exclusively with my thumb, instead of fingers a la Sting and Paul Simonon. Get a bigger, rounder and fuller tone.

• Like 1

Something about a pick on a Pbass that is so right. Perhaps just the right amount of attack through the split pickups, without coming out too trebely and harsh, that just hits that spot 👌🏻

I don't use the J in my P/J basses so much for this reason if I'm playing with a plec

On 11/03/2019 at 18:25, hooky_lowdown said:

Great stuff Bill. Might you do some thumb style stuff, I play pretty much exclusively with my thumb, instead of fingers a la Sting and Paul Simonon. Get a bigger, rounder and fuller tone.

Thanks man - i  actually did a vid a few months ago on this bass with thumb style playing, linked below 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2019 at 01:06, bigsmokebass said:

Something about a pick on a Pbass that is so right. Perhaps just the right amount of attack through the split pickups, without coming out too trebely and harsh, that just hits that spot 👌🏻

well said ! The Jazz doesn't quite do it front pup only, or any other mix. Phil Lynott knew that :)

• Like 1

On 13/03/2019 at 19:21, Soledad said:

well said ! The Jazz doesn't quite do it front pup only, or any other mix. Phil Lynott knew that :)

Actually the jazz IMO sounds killer with a pick and new strings, will do a vid soon on it!

I hear Bobby V too; very nice ‘chucking’. Both fingerstyle and pick are equally appealing to me, both really nice, just different. Then again, I also play both with fingers or pick so I’m already predisposed to like both.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2019 at 11:25, ezbass said:

I hear Bobby V too; very nice ‘chucking’. Both fingerstyle and pick are equally appealing to me, both really nice, just different. Then again, I also play both with fingers or pick so I’m already predisposed to like both.

Thanks man, actual 'chucking' i have not tried in aaaages, since having to learn ''everybody dance'' a fair few years back :D