Why become a member? ×

Atilla Balogh Odyssey Basses and Guitars

FlatEric

ps. The Odyssey company has only recently been resurrected by one of the original employees. As of now you can by some merch, a T-shirt, but he has plans to start manufacturing and sell spare parts made to original spec. Plans are also up and running to start building Basses and guitars from the line again. 

Below is a link to the recent announcement. Exciting times ahead. 

http://odysseyguitar.com/?fbclid=IwAR2pMNAZ14fHqvjX4UKzS4teB3HlYE6-XlwMH_aXeGJqzixFkiOnFM__HAE

Edited by Biscuity Boyle
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 13/03/2019 at 08:44, FlatEric said:

Very similar to the model I have except different tuners and TRC. Interstingly the nut seems to be of bone and not brass. Another one I had not seen before - that vill go on ze lizt. . . Pike!:)

Forward thinking on Atilla's part - start from the north, as opposed to London? Just thought it was ironic that the renewed intrest in this was started on the "Grants are pants" thread! :D

You couldn't make it up!!

Odyssey Bass Head.jpg

Getting a bit lost now, but please explain what the bass with this AA logo is? 

See this thread I started years back:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/aa-basses.183473/?amp=1281340863

2 hours ago, Ajoten said:

Getting a bit lost now, but please explain what the bass with this AA logo is? 

See this thread I started years back:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/aa-basses.183473/?amp=1281340863

It's an Odyssey, this double A logo appears to have been used on the revised range of basses & guitars made by Attila Balogh. No idea if there's any significance to the AA or if it was just a pleasingly symmetrical design.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/03/2019 at 12:11, NikNik said:

Cheers, guys.

Mine was the one with the two Bart buckers and herringbone binding. IIRC, Jimmy Grant had the full range of these basses, inc a B100 fretless with an unlined ebony board and a B100 with what looked like an MXR 6 or 7-band graphic inside it.

Dunno if my one's still in the Lothians. As mentioned in the Grants are Pants thread, I'd like her back!

tmp-cam-1495672727.jpg

Nik Nik, is this image one you have borrowed or is it your actual bass?

😊

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 08:01, FlatEric said:

Nik Nik, is this image one you have borrowed or is it your actual bass?

😊

It's a borrowed image. The last time I saw my old one (it came into my hands for a small repair) the brass was heavily tarnished and someone had totally wrecked the very basic wiring.

On 04/07/2023 at 09:17, NikNik said:

It's a borrowed image. The last time I saw my old one (it came into my hands for a small repair) the brass was heavily tarnished and someone had totally wrecked the very basic wiring.

Understood.

Sending you a PM 👍😎

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chiming in from British Columbia , Canada. I was at the authors house a few weeks ago buying a Mesa Boogie Mark II and we got to talking about Odyssey an Attila guitars. I used to visit Iron Music on Granville Street downtown Vancouver in the late 70's and 80-81, just down the street from one of my favourite strip clubs. I think I longed for one of the Odyssey basses far more than the beautiful girls I would see that same day. I remember that you could basically order your guitar optioned the way you wanted it, pickups, finish, binding etc so there are a lot of one offs out there. Highly thought of by the local music crowd at the time. Unfortunately as a musician I could not afford to buy the one I wanted, about $1000 CAD at the time. I bought a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 instead for $450! Very recently I have acquired 3 Odyssey basses. Not sure how to submit photos. Does anyone have advice for cleaning up the old brass hardware?

Cheers

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Longhairedhippyfreak said:

Chiming in from British Columbia , Canada. I was at the authors house a few weeks ago buying a Mesa Boogie Mark II and we got to talking about Odyssey an Attila guitars. I used to visit Iron Music on Granville Street downtown Vancouver in the late 70's and 80-81, just down the street from one of my favourite strip clubs. I think I longed for one of the Odyssey basses far more than the beautiful girls I would see that same day. I remember that you could basically order your guitar optioned the way you wanted it, pickups, finish, binding etc so there are a lot of one offs out there. Highly thought of by the local music crowd at the time. Unfortunately as a musician I could not afford to buy the one I wanted, about $1000 CAD at the time. I bought a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 instead for $450! Very recently I have acquired 3 Odyssey basses. Not sure how to submit photos. Does anyone have advice for cleaning up the old brass hardware?

Cheers

There you go.

brasso-brass-polish-175ml-can~5000146048442_02c.webp

On 27/08/2023 at 17:27, Longhairedhippyfreak said:

Cheers

Pics please! You can just drag them into your post where you see the paperclip or click the link which will open your file browser for you to choose which ones.

The brass parts like most of the '70s style brass parts were lacquered to prevent them from tarnishing. If they are tarnished, it means that the lacquer has been chipped or has peeled off allowing the air to get at it and the oxidisation to start. Very tricky to clean using polish if some parts still have the lacquer on.

To make them like new you'd probably have to find a way to remove any lacquer left on and then polish and re-lacquer. Might be better and definitely easier to just accept it as is, relic style?

I've got to the point in the book where AB had the accident. Good hear the true account, as I had heard he got caught up in working machinery.

Looking at the photos of the B series basses, I now remember one thing I didn't like about the B100 I had: the proximity of the rear pickup to the bridge. This gave it a really tight sound that I felt only worked well with both pups on. That said, I remember that bass with fondness.