Why become a member? ×

Obsidian Wiring Harness Problem

thebrig

I have been using Obsidian Wiring Harness's in my basses for a few years now and never had any problems until now.

I have one in one of my P basses and the sound has started cutting out, it's happened a couple of times in the past few days and each time I have removed the pickguard to inspect the wires in the clamp on the harness but the wires are tight and can't be pulled out, each time I released them and then re-inserted them, but still no sound, I then unscrew the pickups which are brand new Fender Custom Shop 62's remove them and then re-insert them, low and behold, the sound comes back, the wires are firmly soldered to the pickups so I can't work out whether the problem is with the harness or the pickups.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause would be most welcome.

Btw, I absolutely love the Obsidian Wiring Harness's, they are so easy to install, and they make a great difference to the tone.

1.jpg

Edited by thebrig

30 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Also, be sure the lead and socket are ok and you're not wrongly suspecting something more complex.

Yes - I agree with @Grangur.   If you are losing the whole signal:

It's usually the lead

If it still does it with a new lead, then it's usually the jack socket.

If the jack socket is clean, is making good contact, holds the jack firmly with no loss of spring, then it's usually a short or a solder joint / connector joint or connecting wire just about to break at the joint

If the pickups have been working well in the past, it is very, very rarely the pickups ( unless they are very old and are from a Hofner violin bass ;) )

If you go down in that order, you should be able to sort it quite quickly.

Thanks for the advice so far.

It's definitely not the lead because I immediately plugged it into my other bass and it worked perfectly, I purchased the harness only six month's ago so the jack socket is exceptionally clean and has a strong grip, and I purchased the pickups only five week's ago so they should be fine also, the cavity is not shielded, and the the jack socket is firmly secured to the pickguard and would be be almost impossible to move even slightly, which is why it's a complete mystery to me. 🤔

37 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Could be a dry solder joint.

Check the soldering between the grey connector and the PCB.

It's actually working ok at the moment but if it cuts again, I will check the solder joint, cheers.