Why become a member? ×

At what point would you consider yourself a "musician"?

17 hours ago, fleabag said:

I believe it's against the law to impersonate a Police officer, and so is it too, to impersonate a musician, so i've had myself arrested. See you when i get out   :ph34r:

So Fleabag, when you get out, and when you get your new homemade bass from that man - are you going to be a bell' by not hanging around with us misfits anymore? Or are you going to not do that? 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

So Fleabag, when you get out, and when you get your new homemade bass from that man - are you going to be a bell' by not hanging around with us misfits anymore? Or are you going to not do that? 🙂

Once i learn to play the thing,  you wont see me for dust.  Hope that helps   🤓

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

When I called you and Teebs "Prog Artists" it was meant as a compliment! 😉

Odd. I read p**** as a different word entirely. Clearly, I misjudged you and I apologise.

Oh, hang on.No i don't -'cos I was right in the first place. You never meant 'Prog', you meant, y'know, what i originally thought....

• Haha 2

To me, a musician is someone who makes music, whatever instrument (or anything that can be used as an instrument) he uses to do it. The difference would be more between a musician and an artist. The artist is a different animal, with an active creation side which is not always there for the musician.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 04:46, ixlramp said:

Semantics.

When you create a sound on any instrument, however badly, with or without any audience.

That falls down when you consider that the voice is an instrument, therefore everybody except someone mute from birth is a musician.

I really hope that this doesn’t come across as being in bad taste as I really don’t mean it that way. If it’s insensitive, then, Mods, please remove it and I apologise

In the thread commemorating barneyg42’s passing there is a very touching tribute from Leese. In it, Colin is described is someone who lived up to the definition of a musician as “A musician is someone who loads £5k worth of gear into a £500 car and drives 50 miles for a £5 gig“.

I don’t think that’s a bad definition at all and one that neatly sums it up for me.

• Like 5