Why become a member? ×

At what point would you consider yourself a "musician"?

If you don't like saying what you do, say you're a private detective or something.

At a party or gathering, it can be fun to say a different thing to each boring person that says "so what do you do?"

Careful not to say something that you might have to prove on the spot - i.e. dancer, russian language professor, rapper...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

If you don't like saying what you do, say you're a private detective or something.

At a party or gathering, it can be fun to say a different thing to each boring person that says "so what do you do?"

Careful not to say something that you might have to prove on the spot - i.e. dancer, russian language professor, rapper...

This is a good idea  💡

You could say you were a lumberjack, or an igloo inspector.

Or an estate agent - then no-one would bother you! :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Teebs said:

This is a good idea  💡

You could say you were a lumberjack, or an igloo inspector.

Or an estate agent - then no-one would bother you! :)

You could say you were a tax inspector. Guaranteed to make any musicians run away. That could be the definition of a musician :)

(Joking of course!)

• Haha 3

On 08/03/2019 at 11:43, chris_b said:

I'm not sure at what point we qualify for the term musician. Maybe it's when we start to play with other players.

So the guy I used to play with live after he'd written and recorded a whole album where he played every instrument and sang on it only became a musician once he'd took to the stage? 

On 08/03/2019 at 11:19, Newfoundfreedom said:

So what is it? What is that point at which a mere mortal becomes a "musician". 

It's when you realise that some people don't play - have never played - and you're not one of them!

Edited by julietgreen
Comment with quote
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

@fleabag Would you call yourself a musician, mate?

Those other two are p*** artists, if that helps? 😃

I believe it's against the law to impersonate a Police officer, and so is it too, to impersonate a musician, so i've had myself arrested. See you when i get out   :ph34r:

• Haha 5

I commute to work on a bike, so I am definitely a cyclist. My colleagues dash around for miles at lunchtime, which makes them runners and nutters.  I'm not a musician, I'm a chap learning to play bass. The friend at church, sadly deceased, who gave me the confidence to learn and started teaching me earned a living as a welder but was emphatically a musician. Another friend was a fantastic player, but hasn't picked up his bass in ten years now.

I think there is something to do with skill level and regularity of activity in all the definitions. But thankfully it's very fuzzy.

(And I know what some people who live abroad and earn their living remotely do for a living - I employ a few of them. And, no, it's not very interesting to explain to others 😁 )

• Like 1

I trawled some definitions off the web. I won't provide sources.

A musician is a person who plays a musical instrument as their job or hobby.

A musician is a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music is referred to as a musician.

A person who plays a musical instrument, especially as a profession, or is musically talented.

Anyone who plays music can be called a musician. Whether you're playing the cello on stage at Carnegie Hall or playing the harmonica on a subway platform, you're a musician.

Someone who is  skilled  in  playing   music , usually as a  job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A musician is a person who plays a musical instrument as their job or hobby.

I like that version. And as others have said, you apply the appropriate adjectives.  I am an amateur, unskilled musician. 👍 

5 hours ago, julietgreen said:

It's when you realise that some people don't play - have never played - and you're not one of them!

I went every week to my excellent local om for years - almost all the regulars got up and played, but those of us who didn't were - it seemed - equally members of that community. I admitted to a few that I was learning bass, and they encouraged and then mithered me to get up and play. When I finally did - terrified and badly - it became obvious that I had crossed one of those life-defining lines. It was like having sex for the first time, or flying an aeroplane solo for the first time - even if you do it only once quickly and badly, it changes who you are. 

So then I was a musician!

Then, the first time I played in public with someone else, I thought, *now* I'm a musician!

Then, the first time the project that has turned into my band played a gig together, I thought, *now* I'm a musician!

Then, the first time my band played a full evening pub gig...

Then, the first time in a jam I convincingly blagged a bassline on a song i didn't know...

In June when we play our first proper music venue I'll think ... 

@julietgreen has it exactly right. Years ago I often finished near-last running half-marathons. I was ahead of the many runners who had dropped out, and on a different planet from the vast majority of peeps who had never even tried 🙂 

• Like 5

Guest ixlramp

Semantics.

When you create a sound on any instrument, however badly, with or without any audience.

Edited by ixlramp

10 hours ago, josie said:

Then, the first time my band played a full evening pub gig...

Since my late teens when I got hold of a couple of cassette tapes made from a reel-to reel recording of Woodstock I had a an ambition to play a 'festival'.

While the 'Rock for Life' sort of counted, the landmark gig for me was playing the Jamaican Independence Day festival on the 'green' nest to the Talbot Inn in Leamington Spa. We were more Indy-psychadelic than reggae, but the whole band were regulars in the pub and it all went down great (and the food was amazing!)

Playing in a proper big club in Coventry (rather than the Valleys working men's clubs) was also a big moment for me - the only gig where I invited mates from afar to come along and watch!

• Like 1

So maybe we all have our personal definitions, and that's just fine.

My personal definition is when someone knows that they're playing something WRONG, rather than right.

So that's all about developing a good musical ear, which can take many years for us mere mortals.

I remember when I'd been playing for about a year and I first learnt to reliably 'hear' a fifth interval. What a sense of achievement!    :thank_you:

For me, having always played originals, it was when I not only started playing more than root notes, but when I knew WHY I was playing those notes.

I would be offended if you called music my "hobby", yet I'm not earning much from it so maybe it is just an expensive hobby, but it keeps me from going mad, bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Haha 1