Why become a member? ×

I'm going to regret this, but, erm...what is meant by "Heft"...?

lou24d53

15 minutes ago, Dood said:

Not ridiculous at all. I played through an amp at a rehearsal space only this week and, reference my post above, it simply felt like it was choking my notes. It felt like the compressor was stuck on. No matter what I did, everything lacked kick. Yes it could do loud, but no real grunt. Hence my nod towards amplifiers actually being able to reproduce those important frequencies with some sort of gusto. The expense I suppose in creating said amplification is the attention to detail in not only the poweramp section but most definitely in a power supply that can provide for large transients  and recover very quickly to continue providing. Small lunchbox amplifiers with little space for heatsinking and suitable power supplies are up against physics in order to provide such heft! So, I agree.

Thank you for not calling the men in white coats 😄

• Haha 1

On 08/03/2019 at 12:50, EBS_freak said:

My apologies. I'm not aware of any bass heads using Powersoft amps. But they'd probably be awesome if they are out there.

I thought you were going to go with all amps under the class D banner... or are you going to go with ICEpower? Or TC's effort... or a combination of to suit the argument?

Early Tecamp Puma did, used their Digimod units. Sounded great. 

6 hours ago, Dood said:

For the “D Class is evil” folk, I’ve always thought that a lot of these amplifiers appear to sound clearer and more aggressive in the higher mids and lower treble frequencies. Given my point above, I wonder if this is one of the reasons that certain D Class amps are perceived as “less hefty”. The heft is there, more it’s being masked - our ears work logarithmically and are way more sensitive to treble frequencies.

5 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

As much as I can in the woolly world of describing heft...

When I play a note, it feels tangible. It has a solid core.

Yes, that sounds ridiculous... but I don’t care.

I've always thought of it linked to how the amp supplies power, solid state amps with big old capacitors in the power section are better equipped to supply power too to shift big bottom end. 
With many class D we can see that they have the initial burst power and then it drops off. In theory that's not a problem, but I wonder if it affects the way we perceive it. Mind you I think that's based on design choice rather than topology as the Tecamp Pumas with the powersoft units seemed to be way more low mid biased than some of the other units I've tried with the high mid bias that @Dood just mentioned 

10 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Early Tecamp Puma did, used their Digimod units. Sounded great. 

I've always thought of it linked to how the amp supplies power, solid state amps with big old capacitors in the power section are better equipped to supply power too to shift big bottom end. 
With many class D we can see that they have the initial burst power and then it drops off. In theory that's not a problem, but I wonder if it affects the way we perceive it. Mind you I think that's based on design choice rather than topology as the Tecamp Pumas with the powersoft units seemed to be way more low mid biased than some of the other units I've tried with the high mid bias that @Dood just mentioned 

Totally agree regarding the power supply issue as noted above. Being able to deliver power immediately and have enough “reservoir” for the power supply to continue delivering whilst under attack from big signal transients!

Powersoft was always a favourite of mine. I had a 2000W rack amp that just delivered in spade loads whatever you threw at it. I think it’s still owned by a BCer even now. 

On 09/03/2019 at 12:46, Al Krow said:

Can you elaborate on the 'transient thing' please? 

On 09/03/2019 at 12:51, wateroftyne said:

As much as I can in the woolly world of describing heft...

When I play a note, it feels tangible. It has a solid core.

Yes, that sounds ridiculous... but I don’t care.

In case you ever get asked this again from a numpty like me, I've just had this from @51m0n on another thread, which is an excellent little summary of transients

28 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

The transient part of the note occurs right at the start. It is the initial blast of energy put into the string. Very often it is not truly pitched at all, being the sound of the percussive strike you give the string with your finger, pick, or thumb or whatever. 

It is louder than the following phases, obviously if you think about it, and can be over in just a few milliseconds.

However it is a very important part of the timbre of the entire note. It alone can lend a note a bright tone verses a dark tone, psychoacoustics band all that.

Cabs without tweeters tend to struggle with fast transients, slapping Vs Fingerle has a much faster and larger transient. 

This is how you can use a limiter to change the perceived brightness of a note for instance, it can significantly reduce the level of the transient without changing the level of the rest of the note...