Why become a member? ×

Guitarchat

I've been considering starting a thread on Brexit vs Rickenbackers vs Robotuners just to see if it can provoke a bit more activity, but I think the bottom line is that there's a kind of vicious circle going on where people don't hang around there much because it's so quiet.

• Like 1

It'll take time. I'm happy for it to grow naturally, rather than push it. When Basschat first started we had about one post a day and I used to check it with my WAP phone. Obviously today things are different but I still think it'll get there - but I do need to pull my finger out and do some promotion/advertising.

If you play guitar, feel free to post on the forum and get some topics going, and invite others to do so. We're very close to finding out what guitar is best for metal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

There's a lot of guitar forums out there already, with established user bases that are very active.  I guess the ideal scenario would have been if all of us had gotten guitarists we know on to it as an instant user base.  Without that I imagine it would take a lot of effort and maybe some expense to get it really going. 

• Like 1

Just now, PJ-Bassist said:

There's a lot of guitar forums out there already, with established user bases that are very active.  I guess the ideal scenario would have been if all of us had gotten guitarists we know on to it as an instant user base.  Without that I imagine it would take a lot of effort and maybe some expense to get it really going. 

Yes, we thought as many Basschatters play guitar too, some would jump across and help 'populate' it. We made that easier with the ability to sin in with the same account etc. In terms of costs, it really wasn't too bad as it's all hosted on the same server and uses the same tech as BC; in fact it also can be a useful testing ground for updates here, for example the location field was developed in GC.

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

But I can't play guitar - am I still allowed there? :(

I'm afraid you have to play Stairway through FaceTime to be allowed posting rights. And please don't take that as a euphemism because I had a frankly shocking call last week

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ped said:

It'll take time. I'm happy for it to grow naturally, rather than push it. When Basschat first started we had about one post a day and I used to check it with my WAP phone. Obviously today things are different but I still think it'll get there - but I do need to pull my finger out and do some promotion/advertising.

If you play guitar, feel free to post on the forum and get some topics going, and invite others to do so. We're very close to finding out what guitar is best for metal.

@ped

What about a forum to rival JoinMyBand or Bandmix??  Those sites annoy the hell out of me and I sure it could be done a lot better.   I know there is a sub-forum here for fiinding bands but I think there's definitely a need for a well run, dedicated 'band finder' forum.

PM me if you think the idea has legs..

2 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I guess the ideal scenario would have been if all of us had gotten guitarists we know on to it as an instant user base. 

Maybe some of us come on here to escape from & beach about, erm, I mean 'discuss' the guitarists we know! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ped said:

In terms of costs, it really wasn't too bad as it's all hosted on the same server and uses the same tech as BC; in fact it also can be a useful testing ground for updates here, for example the location field was developed in GC.

Ah.  Much like Scotland is to England then.  GC is the testbed for for trying out controversial legislation before subjecting the BC nationals to it.  Like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I made a thread or two and received a helpful response. I was going to make a similiar thread but suppose it's early days on guitarchat. ..or six stringers are too busy arranging their pedal boards or setting up trems.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I've been!
It's GREEN! :o

It's like BassChat was redecorated for Halloween! :o

On the other hand, there's some interesting threads & some new people :)

(not that the peeps on BC are 'old' or owt :/)

Ooh, good job you backed off the "old" ya young bugger,  (brandish of stick !)

• Sad 1

Guest oZZma

I registered an account there too... But it's too quiet, yeah. I don't have the impression that I will get any answer within days if I ask a question or open a thread... 

12 hours ago, Marvin said:

To be honest I never frequent the place...but that's because i can't play guitar so there's little point.

Most people here can't play the bass for life, but that doesn't stop them. In fact, if they'd spent their 10,000 hours not on BC but on practising, all things would've been different many places. (Yes, I knooow what I'm talking about. 65,000 hours ago, I decided to read something on BC...)
😁

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1

Maybe it's not in the nature of guitarists to be chatty.

Perhaps BanjoBanter™ or MandolinNatter™ or UkeleleLoquation™ (also known as UkeSpeak) might attract a different clientèle?

Not necessarily a clientèle you'd want to attract though... :D

• Haha 1