Why become a member? ×

Flea....

gpw5150

On 18/03/2019 at 07:25, uk_lefty said:

Thanks to everyone who mentioned the Mars Volta. Decided to buy de-loused last night and am really enjoying it. All round good music, I like the guitar style, the feel of the songs, and of course the bass... Decent album. 

Love this jam session - Flea, John Frusciante and Omar Rodriguez. 

It's intense and really showcases Flea's stamina. Ace.

• Like 1

IME RHCP have been very inconsistent live, but that doesn't bother me at all. Saw them first at Leeds Festival (when John had just come back) and thought they were unbelievable. Caught them a couple of times at the MENA with John, once very good, once so-so, saw them at the Etihad when they weren't very good at all IMO, and also at Glasgow Green with QOTSA, the Foos, PJ Harvey etc (night after Slaine Castle?) when they were absolutely stellar, one of the best performances I've ever seen.  

One of my favourite bands and I'll happily listen to all their albums, although I don't currently have anything with Josh on. Favourite albums are BSSM and Californication, but favourite track is Venice Queen.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2019 at 17:28, uk_lefty said:

Flea is a huge inspiration and BSSM is, for me, untouchable as an inspired bass album. In 2012 I saw the Red Hots live in Knebworth and it was.... Dreadful, boring, hollow... Nothing like what I expected. So disappointing.

Yeah I know what you mean. I loved RCHP up to BSSM but live performances always underwhelm me for some reason.... 

On 07/03/2019 at 20:40, grumpyguts said:

All those blokes on stage playing bass...not one P bass to be seen 😂

Didn't take long to go from a great bass player in a great original band at their peak to some clever blokes showing of with little in the way of song or melody 

37 minutes ago, 4000 said:

IME RHCP have been very inconsistent live, but that doesn't bother me at all. Saw them first at Leeds Festival (when John had just come back) and thought they were unbelievable. Caught them a couple of times at the MENA with John, once very good, once so-so, saw them at the Etihad when they weren't very good at all IMO, and also at Glasgow Green with QOTSA, the Foos, PJ Harvey etc (night after Slaine Castle?) when they were absolutely stellar, one of the best performances I've ever seen.  

One of my favourite bands and I'll happily listen to all their albums, although I don't currently have anything with Josh on. Favourite albums are BSSM and Californication, but favourite track is Venice Queen.

I was at leeds and Glasgow green.What a time for those bands ,amazing 

On 07/03/2019 at 16:17, gpw5150 said:

Re-listening to Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik (which did not leave my car in the early 90's.....).

He was definitely at his peak on this album.  I have not heard anything by them since that is this ferocious, funky, complex yet simple and good.......

Carry on!

I was at the time big into the grunge scene but that album got me, its absolutely brilliant as are all the albums before it. I had it on tape and later bought it on cd. 

On 07/03/2019 at 17:22, Cato said:

Same here.

The Stadium Arcadium album  and the subsequent gig I went to at the Coventry Ricoh ended my love affair with the Chillies which began back with the Mother's Milk album.

It was especially gutting because I'd seen them at the Slaine Castle gig a few years before and they were brilliant. At Coventry they were barely going through the motions. I heard later that John Frusciante was only still  playing in the band at that point to fulfil contractual obligations.

Seems I'm not alone, I also kind of stopped listening after stadium arcadium. It was as though they grew up or something. Bet I can count on both hands the amount of times I have listened to it. 🙄

On 16/03/2019 at 08:16, scalpy said:

My favourite piece of Flea is You Oughta Know by Alanis Morrisette, enhanced by Rick Beato’s great video on it too.

On 18/03/2019 at 20:23, Maude said:

And Dave Navarro on guitar. It was One Hot Minute era. 

And Taylor Hawkins on drums I think 🤔

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

He was Alanis' drummer at the time so I always assumed that it was him but Wikipedia only states that he was in the video - no mention of the actual track

Yeah...it’s all a bit muddy when you go looking 🤷🏻‍♂️

53B320B6-7290-4AE8-AF1C-7EC5EF268E68.png

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:59, Leonard Smalls said:

They were excellent every time I saw them (6 times),but then the biggest venue was the Astoria so they were still hungry for it!

That could well be why... 

Just listened to You Oughtta Know. Wow. My memory of that song made me think "no way has that got flea and Dave Navarro on" but when you listen to it it's unmistakably Dave Navarro but Flea is let loose to play with a different style and tone to his RHCP work but keep it funky. It works really well and there's a female fronted band I sometimes play with, I want to play this with them!

• Like 1