Why become a member? ×

NCD Laney N410

la bam

I got this yesterday as an ex demo immaculate condition. Less than half price. 4x10 speakers - 600w rms at 8ohm. These are the nexus cabs to compliment the impressive looking nexus range.

Firstly it's VERY well made. Nice proper stuff n nuff paint covering but looks really well applied and thick without looking awful. Looks a really nice finished article.

Back panel has input speakon, but they look like dual speakon where they can take a standard jack cable too, and a link socket to another cab. Also two horn switches for on and off, and full and half.

First impression I had when I unboxed was ...... have they sent me the right cab? I looks for all intent and purposes like a small 1x15! But I've checked and it's a 4x10, it's amazing they can make them this compact. Memories of my old ashdown mag 410 deep where like carrying a house around.

Weight is brilliant at 23kg - that's the same weight as a barefaced 410. With all the raving and praise barefaced get for lightweight cabs, it's amazing no one has mentioned these. Having owned a barefaced the laneys feel much more substantial and not in the slightest delicate like barefaced can.

It feels solid and it's dimensions don't make you feel it could get knocked over or backwards. It's well proportioned and has enough weight to feel substantial.

It is however still 23kg. Don't go getting carried away thinking this is like lifting a feather!

Handles are quality metal and easily up to the job.

Sound wise - and it's only had house play so far - is awesome. Very rich and filling sound. Nice and tight, but with something musical to it, rather than just tight.

Paired with my quilter 800 it coped easily with very high and very low notes without losing any quality. It also sounds good whatever eq I seemed to put through it.

It's going to get an outing at this weekends gig, which is quite a large one, so it'll have a proper test.

It's even a really viable option for an 8x10 if needed - x2 cabs at 23kg each.

And these cabs, considering what you get are cheap! You can get them new for around £500 - half of a barefaced st or 410. Specs are similar at 101db sensitivity and 23kg.

I've never really followed the fashionable way when it comes to gear, so my quilter and laney partnership is rocking and rolling for less than a grand. And fits into the boot of any car with room for a whole host of other equipment too!

Just need to sort a cover now.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2

Sounds great! The unfortunate thing about it is the name... I've played so much mediocre Laney gear over the years I'd be extremely unlikely to even give something like this a chance, and I assume I wouldn't be the only one. You have to wonder why Laney wouldn't create an offshoot company to minimise the impact the old name might have on sales...

• Like 1

Sounds interesting!

I commented on a thread last year that I'd played through a 2x10 Laney at a rehearsal room and it sounded awesome so if that was anything to go by you'll be on to a winner. I agree that unfortunately some brands appear to be instantly overlooked purely due to past misdemeanours.

Let us know how you get on with it 👍

Edited by Deedee
typo

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Sounds great! The unfortunate thing about it is the name... I've played so much mediocre Laney gear over the years I'd be extremely unlikely to even give something like this a chance, and I assume I wouldn't be the only one. You have to wonder why Laney wouldn't create an offshoot company to minimise the impact the old name might have on sales...

I'd agree to a point, but they've really upped the quality recently with the nexus and the valve range.

They started off as others have said supplying the likes of Sabbath etc, I think they just had a ropey few years in the 80s and 90s which unfortunately put a few people off.

On first impressions this is gonna be a great buy though.

I have always liked laney gear, both guitar and bass....they have had some great ideas and designs, build and finish is great 

At the same time, i have to feel i little sorry for them as they never seem to get a really good foot hold, certainly on the bass side of

things which is a shame as their gear is equally good if not better than many of the bigger brands.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

I have always liked laney gear, both guitar and bass....they have had some great ideas and designs, build and finish is great 

At the same time, i have to feel i little sorry for them as they never seem to get a really good foot hold, certainly on the bass side of

things which is a shame as their gear is equally good if not better than many of the bigger brands.   

I agree. I had a 65 watt Laney Linebacker geetar combo back in the 90's. Very well built and sounded fine to my ears. 

Well, I'm very very impressed with this cab. Sounded great through the helix (svt) and quilter.

Loads of volume and having the tweeter on really helped the high notes shine through.

It was a big noise eating stage, and a big hall with a very high ceiling, and it coped great. I could hear every note and it just sat well on stage in the mix. Next week is a small hotel, so it'll be interesting to see how it sounds more enclosed, but I'm sure it'll not break a sweat and sound fantastic.

I see these ones have LaVoce drivers, that's a name I've not come across before. I had one of the older versions with the steel grill and Celestion neo drivers and it was the best 4x10" I'd ever played through.

Absolutely rock solid cabs but also relatively light considering what they are

Lucky enough to find a mint unused n210 as well today. Picked it up. Fantastic. Now makes a great deal of options and modular set ups:

2x10 - small gigs.

4x10 - medium to large.

2x10 and 4x10 - very large and outdoor.

all super lightweight and compact too.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2