Why become a member? ×

Two pre-amps in chain.

AScheck9

Hello!

So- I've found that by putting an Ampeg Scr-Di (a preamp) in the FX loop of my Genz Benz streamliner, I'm able to get the benefits of overdriving the in built tube preamp whilst also getting the benefits of the Ampeg Eq, volume control and scrambler section. Does anyone else do this, and more importantly will it damage anything? My clip light rarely comes on and my cab can handle most things thrown at it. I listen for the warning signs but all good so far. It just sounds bloody lovely. 

Scheck

I put my DHA tube preamp in front of my Ampeg SVT-CL, tubes everywhere, doesn't do it any harm, not sure if it benefits the sound all that much but Im too lazy to take it off my pedalboard as sometimes I'll just go DI to the FOH if space is tight, so I think you'll be fine.

• Like 1

It's not unusual for bass players to go through multiple preamps in their signal chain.

For example if I put my active Precision deluxe through a B1on or Stomp multi effects the signal is already running through two preamps before it gets to the amp which also has a preamp stage.

There's also an argument that every effects pedal in the chain could technically be described as a preamp in it's own right in as far as it's changing the nature of the signal before it reaches the amplification stage, in which case some people are actually going through maybe 5 or more preamps.

I think the general rule is that if the amp and cab don't sound like they're struggling with the input signal then it's probably fine.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1