Why become a member? ×

Bass that has the "P" cut through but with a slim neck?

Pirellithecat

Thanks Smythe,

Yes, I know R&T well, bought a few basses from them over the last few years.

I do keep my eye out for what they have in stock, but as yet, haven't seen one of the above recommendations. 

I should pop over and see what is physically there I guess ....... but Vaughan's back and he is sure to sell me something!!   

Good reminder though

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all,

SWMBO has insisted on finishing the house upgrade before being allowed out ..... I know ..... I'm a wimp, but it still looks to me like the next step is a trip to Bass Direct to try many of the guitars suggested above. So still a week or two to go before the great escape.

Although, the black Squire MIJ P bass listed on here looks great.......   but no .... I've got to stick to  the "Ready, Aim, Fire" rules rather than my usual, "Fire, Ready, Aim!"  modus operandi .

That green Yamaha does look good though .....

Oh dear. 

On 29/03/2019 at 10:18, Pirellithecat said:

That green Yamaha does look good though .....

And I will confirm that those BB434s punch ridiculously far above their price tag. It’s a Yamaha - they literally don’t know how to make a bad instrument.

• Like 3

On 07/03/2019 at 20:11, machinehead said:

Fender American Standard Jaguar?

It has switchable P & J pick ups which can also be switched to series or parallel.  Also switchable active/passive and still works in passive with flat batteries.

The neck is jazz dimensions.

The only problem is that they were only made for a couple of years (2014 to 2015?) so might be hard to find.  I have seen a couple for sale on basschat.

Mine's not for sale.  :)

Frank.

Or even a Squier Jaguar. I just bagged one as a backup to my P, and it is stupidly good for the money if you can find one!

Tried a Lakland PJ today that had a jazz width neck, absolutely formidable P pickup and played really smoothly. The J added a bit more upper mids, but the P soloed was ‘that’ sound. Nicer than the Fender Ps I tried.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Tried a Lakland PJ today that had a jazz width neck, absolutely formidable P pickup and played really smoothly. The J added a bit more upper mids, but the P soloed was ‘that’ sound. Nicer than the Fender Ps I tried.

This is exactly my experience of the Lakland PJs too

14 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Have you tried the newer models? 434/435, 734a/735a and p34/p35? 

The older 424/425, 1024/1025 and 2024/2025s were noticeably heavier

My 434 is approx. 8lb 10oz (4ish kg) - not noticeably heavy for me.

• Like 1

I didn’t look to see if you had a budget in mind but there must be lots of pj basses about used. I was lucky when I had a precision itch and found a Limelight on here that had a jazz neck fitted. Perfect for me.

Although I am a Warwick fan too I’ve been considering a Stage 1 or earlier if it can do the “P” bass thing properly. Not common on the ground to try though........

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

If you're interested in the Warwick Streamer PJs, you should also look out for Spector basses.

Funnily enough the same thought crossed my mind earlier. How do ( and I apologise as this is probably a thread of its own) Spectors and Warwicks compare?

..............heading off to create a new thread 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2019 at 10:59, Pirellithecat said:

Thanks all, I'll check these suggestions out.  Any feelings on the Aerodyne??

Bought an Aerodyne to solve exactly the question you’re asking. Jazz neck, split coil. Cracking bass, lovely matched headstock and smoked metal - also the lightest 34inch scale they make, surprised they’re such a rare sight.

Like any PJ, not entirely sure the split coil is in the mm exact traditional P position but really does the job live.  

Edited by Drax

I did a gig on Friday night.  I played a US Precision through a Thunderfunk amp into a Barefaced BB2.  What a glorious sound. :)

As an experiment I used my US Jaguar on Saturday night through the same rig.  The Jaguar sounded identical to the Precision on the P pickup.  (The Jaguar pickups are switched rather than blended using volume knobs and that might be the key to the sound on a PJ bass?)

Frank.

Seen this before on R&T website and thought you'd maybe interested. They're a great bass, I have the limited edition passive 2013 model with a maple fingerboard. I actually prefered the sound of the active model but went for the passive mainly because they were made in fewer numbers. 

IMG_20190408_152651.jpg

Thanks Smythe,

I already have a modified Squire PJ , bought as a "scrap" bass which I've upgraded (pickups/pots/wiring, high mass bridge, TI Flats etc). It now plays well ( a real "find" in terms of playability), has a 38mm neck with rosewood fingerboard but I'm not convinced by the PJ compromise in this particular bass.  Do you think the R&T offering would be significantly better?    I guess I should go and try it to see as this would give me a useful comparison to what I have now.  However, not having finished the en-suite yet I'm grounded for (yet) another week!  I'll go next week and feedback here.

Cheers

On 02/04/2019 at 13:57, ezbass said:

I have a maple/malpe Lakland JO Jazz neck that i put on my Fender basses when i feel the need for a change. Best Jazz neck ive ever played. ive not used it for a while though as my Fender Sandblasted P bass has one of the slimmest P necks ive every played, so it feels quite comfortable even for someone that wont play a bigger P neck.

Edited by dave_bass5

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I have a maple/malpe Lakland JO Jazz neck that i put on my Fender basses when i feel the need for a change. Best Jazz neck ive ever played. ive not used it for a while though as my Fender Sandblasted P bass has one of the slimiest P necks ive every played, so it feels quite comfortable even for someone that wont play a bigger P neck.

Love a nice slimy neck.

• Haha 1