Why become a member? ×

Bass that has the "P" cut through but with a slim neck?

Pirellithecat

21 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

Thanks all, I'll check these suggestions out.  Any feelings on the Aerodyne??

Not directly but I recently did a 2 band gig and the other bassist had both an Aerodyne and a Jazz Bass Special.  He said, of the two, he preferred the JBS.  It certainly had more oomph and growl at soundcheck.

Another bass is the Precision Lyte - PJ basses, MIJ.  I had one for some time and the neck was the slimmest profile I have ever played.  Tone was not quite exactly like a regular P bass but close enough.

Another one I just remembered is a Peavey Fury.  USA ones, anyway.  VERY slim neck and quite an aggressive P style pickup.  Despite being really well made the generally go for peanuts.

Edited by Paul S

I tried all the PJs I could get my hands on around London a couple of years ago and ended up with a MIJ Jazz Special. The Aerodyne was one of the most disappointing of the bunch.

The Music Man Caprice was one of my favourites but it's not cheap. I might have bought that instead if the example I found wasn't damaged and overpriced and in a different colour!

My favourite amongst the Fenders was a Troy Sanders Jaguar. Also the Geddy Lee Jazz, but that's not a PJ.

Ultimately though I sold the Jazz Special as I realised it still could not hold a candle to my trusty Yamaha BB!

Thanks all,

I'm going to have to stop dithering .... soon!

The Yamaha BB's keep popping into the frame and I do like all the technical bells and whistles - so I'll have to go and find one to try.

I have to admit that whilst my  cheap second hand/improved Squire PJ was a real positive surprise, the new Fenders I have tried so far haven't "blown my socks off", whilst the feel of the Warwick was fantastic.  

I still want that P type cut through, so I will try out the Warwick against a Yamaha BB ?? 1024 and some PJ Bass non-fender basses, (and I have been looking out for a Lyte as this does sound promising) but I'd like to try whatever it is I might buy, which limits second hand stuff.

Now, what excuse could I have for driving down to the midlands .......

And yes, I now realise I'm posting in the wrong section of the site -  Doh!

Have you considered a Warwick Corvette? You mentioned you liked the look of the Streamer LX and the neck.

I used to have a 2012 model Corvette and even though it was a JJ configuration. I found i could get it to sound like a precision and it had an active/passive pull switch. I also found the Corvette had a slimmer neck than the Streamer and had both in my arsenal at the same time. The Corvette was a nicer player than the Streamer IMO.

Screenshot_20190310-090257_Instagram.jpg

Thanks PlasmaZombies,

I've never really fancied a Corvette, but I've no idea why not -  I should try one.  As a matter of interest, did the Streamer also "cut through" the mix (like wot a P Bass does, but of course sounding like a Warwick)?  And, out of interest what did you move on to replace the Warwicks?

On 09/03/2019 at 20:25, Dan Dare said:

Another vote for the MIM Fender P bass special. P pickup plus J bridge pickup, jazz neck and P body. Very versatile and nice to play.

+1

Great Bass, my Sea Foam Green has an active 3 band EQ 9v preamp it's very versatile looks handsome and a dream to play. I could swear that the Jazz neck is identical to the the MIM Geddy Lee Jazz bass. 

Edited by JohnDaBass
Error

If you are looking used the Fender American Deluxe P is worth a look. Humbucking bridge PUP on mine, a couple of extra frets to play with (I get vertigo above the 5th fret, so not used much :) ) and a lovely neck, J like neck but with just a little more wood on mine

• Like 1

Yeah I found that the Streamer really did cut through the mix, still had that Warwick growl and did the 'P bass' thing well too. I found it sounded great for the project I was in at the time tuned to D standard.

I sold the Corvette first as I found the Streamer had the edge in terms of aggressive tone. The Corvette was more refined. Then I ended up selling the Streamer as I found ergonomically I always seemed to tire my left hand out when reaching for first 4 frets, it was as if it sat differently on me and first position seemed farther away not to mention the thicker neck profile, so playing a set with it tired me out.

That project ended and I just really fancied having a straight forward p bass so replaced it with a Fender Precision. 

4 hours ago, PlasmaZombies said:

Have you considered a Warwick Corvette? You mentioned you liked the look of the Streamer LX and the neck.

I used to have a 2012 model Corvette and even though it was a JJ configuration. I found i could get it to sound like a precision and it had an active/passive pull switch. I also found the Corvette had a slimmer neck than the Streamer and had both in my arsenal at the same time. The Corvette was a nicer player than the Streamer IMO.

Screenshot_20190310-090257_Instagram.jpg

That Streamer LX looks identical to mine right down to the all-black hardware.  I think the body wood is cherry.  They look very handsome in the flesh.

I also find the sound quite good for being heard live.  I mainly use mine on the P pickup.  It's possible to great a lovely growly sound.

Also, it's a fairly lightweight bass and well balanced on the strap.  The neck isn't overly deep on my one.

Sadly, although I play it at home, it gets very little gigging time.  I just find myself using a Fender Jazz with a P pickup at the neck for nearly all my gigs over the last two years or so. (Fender Vintage 70s Hotrod Jazz USA)  These were only made for one year, maybe a couple of years, so might be hard to find now.

Frank.

I was at a gig on Friday where Phil Mulford was using a Stingray, 2 band. Despite it being a tribute to Louis Johnson gig, with plenty of slapping and popping, there was none of the hi-if, thin sound you’re trying to avoid. Instead, it was full, thick and punchy. With that in mind, you could try a Sterling by Music Man ‘Ray. Some have a narrower nut width (38mm) and is certainly appropriate to ‘70s music. There’s one in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow, which might be easier for you to get to than Warwick. https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181219336317008--music-man-sterling-ray24ca-classic-3-tone-sunburst

Thanks for all that everyone ..........

I must be really getting past it.  Not only have I posted in the wrong section of Basschat, but I'd forgotten that I once had a Warwick Rockbass which I really liked EXCEPT that it was hard work accessing the first few frets as they seemed implausibly far away - thanks for the reminder PlasmaZombies.   I'm going to have to re-assess the Warwick idea although I don't use the first few frets much and don't really like using open strings - I should probably be looking for a 5 string!!

I'm in the middle of installing an en-suite at home, but if I can get it finished with days to spare in March I'm going out!    I don't care how long it takes, but I'm going to try out all the suggestions that have been made so far! All over the bleedin' country.

And look at some amps and cabs (fancy the Trickfish and the Bergantino Forte for some reason!!).

Ha, finally in the right section of the forum!!  :sorry:🛠️

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

Thanks for all that everyone ..........

I must be really getting past it.  Not only have I posted in the wrong section of Basschat, but I'd forgotten that I once had a Warwick Rockbass which I really liked EXCEPT that it was hard work accessing the first few frets as they seemed implausibly far away - thanks for the reminder PlasmaZombies.   I'm going to have to re-assess the Warwick idea although I don't use the first few frets much and don't really like using open strings - I should probably be looking for a 5 string!!

I'm in the middle of installing an en-suite at home, but if I can get it finished with days to spare in March I'm going out!    I don't care how long it takes, but I'm going to try out all the suggestions that have been made so far! All over the bleedin' country.

And look at some amps and cabs (fancy the Trickfish and the Bergantino Forte for some reason!!).

Ha, finally in the right section of the forum!!  :sorry:🛠️

Just a suggestion as you're in the north, try Gary at Promenade music in Morecambe.

He is an experienced player and will give you some good advice.

Also - can’t remember if someone already said this, but if you have a decent standard fender body - get a Status Graphite J neck - it is sublime and will fit right into the pocket.

Fast, feels great, Rich harmonics and if you don’t like the status logo dat on the headstock I think they are moving it to the back if you ask them

• Like 1

Thanks all, 

The Tokai looks interesting but I'm not, for some reason, that keen on the Jaguar - no idea why - I did try one last year and it was OK, but didn't really stand out.

The Sandbergs also look interesting - I really need to get out and try the ones that are available ....... roll on end of March (floor done, bog should be in tomorrow so en-suite progressing albeit slowly........)

The bass I have is a black PJ squire precision standard, special and the body looks OK, but I don't think it would merit any more cash spending on it.  i.e. Status Neck.   All in all, in it's upgraded form its pretty good - so I'm looking for something a little bit special that will hopefully keep its value over the years.

And, yes, I have been down to Promenade Music and had several chats to Gary, who as you say is very helpful.  I keep looking, but at the moment they don't have anything I'm looking to try out, but I'll keep an eye on their website.   Any excuse for a bracing walk along the prom in Morecambe - at its best at this time of year, good for blowing the winter cobwebs away!

Have a look at some of the stock they have in R&T Music in Barrow in Furness. They've moved into selling higher end, professional gear over the last few years. They had numerous classic rock basses in there last time I looked. It's not too long a drive from up the coast there's only that perilous road to contend with! 

Edited by Smythe