Why become a member? ×

Bass that has the "P" cut through but with a slim neck?

Pirellithecat

Help!

Going round in circles with this one ........  so thought I'd see if I could tap into the Basschat collective experience.

I need a nice bass for 70's classic rock (guitar/bass/drums/vocals).  I have an upgraded Squire P bass special Standard which has PJ config pups and a jazz style (38.1mm) neck.   It's surprisingly good, but .....   I've convinced myself that I could use something better and have tried the following few alternatives.   

Fender P Professional -  I'm not sure that the neck will really suit me.   

Elite PJ and the neck on this seemed much better but I can't justify the cost and don't really need the active electrics

Fender CIJ P, different to the Professional but not 100% to my liking

Also tried Fender Jazz Professional which is nice but moves away from the sound I'm after (and yes I know John Paul Jones used one!)

Also tried a Warwick Streamer LX, which has PJ config, (and looks devine) and I REALLY like this - but it's very expensive and will it do the "P" thing?

So, anyone point me in the right direction  i.e.  "P" sound in terms of cut through, not modern and "zingy"/hi-fi/bright, manageable (slim) neck (for quick licks where necessary).

Budget would be Fender P Professional level (or loads less if at all possible).  

I'm in the middle of nowhere and its a 2 hour trip to any major instrument stockist so any pointer would be much appreciated.

Many many thanks

Yamaha BB434 - all passive. P & J pickups.

Yamaha BB734a - 3 band preamp, switchable to passive with a tone control in passive mode. P & J pickups.

Sire P7 - 3 band preamp, switchable to passive with a tone control.

Sandberg Electra VS4 - 2 band active preamp, switchable to passive but with no tone control in passive mode.

Personally, I’d go for one of the Yamahas. 

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 2

My recommendations, whenever anyone mentions P basses, are for the US Standards, 2012-15 Series, simply the best Precisions I`ve found (for me). Only thing that might go against in this instance is that the necks are a handful, if you like slimmer necks these may not be the best choice.

Thanks everyone - food for thought.

So, seems like I need to get out of the valley and try a Nate Mendel, A Lakland, and certainly a Yamaha and a few others!   And that looks like a 3 hour drive to Bass Direct, who might have the Sandberg, a Yamaha, and I might need to see who has the rest "en-route".

Sadly I can't do a bitsa at the moment as I have to finish rebuilding the house and haven't time to undertake a project - but I'd like to do so in the future - lovely bass Cuzzie!

Any feedback on the Warwick, in terms of working in a 70's band?

Cheers

• Like 1

One of these may suit your needs, this is my 1998 p bass special they are very comfortable ,  and they have the jazz neck, the p pickup does give the lows and the bridge pup is quite bright on its own, but blended together it’s got a lot of tonal options 🙂

AE3F64E8-2E75-427B-B9F5-AC281BEC98F0.jpeg

• Like 1

The Fender PJ 1998 P bass looks great - I'll keep an eye out!

Concerning the Warwick, I recently tried a new Streamer and the neck really seems to suit my technique (or lack of it). 

I have an Ibanez Premium range bass in my collection and it's a joy to play and looks great.  It has a rich and varied tones, but in a 70's rock setting it's wasted and tends to get lost in the mix. 

Hence the desire for a bass that has a slim neck which is "better" than a Squire PJ and has the ability to cut through the mix better than the Ibanez.  If a Warwick Streamer did this it would be worth saving up for. So, I guess the question is  ...... does the Warwick fit the bill?  

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions keep 'em coming!🤔

• Like 1

Seems to me you need to make that 2 hour drive. You have all sorts of ideas about what you want and don't want and now you need to play some basses to see if the real thing matches your ideas.

If you want to cut through I'd also be looking at the amp and cab you use, any pedals and the EQ you have..

• Like 1

Arghhhh!  I know you're right chris_b!!!

Hence the "going round in circles" comment at the top.   I thought it best to try to nail the front end first and then catch up on the amp front.  Don't really use pedals and tend to keep the EQ as flat as possible so looking for equipment that sounds intrinsically "right" at the outset.   

I guess it's easier to get the feel and the general tone of a bass in a shop,  but I'm worried that at "live" sound levels competing with noisy guitar players and drummers things sound a little different - hence seeking the collective experience.

But yes, a trip to Worcestershire seems like a good idea - but it is a 420 mile round trip! 

Aiming for a synergy between your bass, amp and cab is the right way to go. IMO.

You already have a good Precision bass, so rather than looking for a better P bass, I'd be looking for a good Jazz bass (or other 2 pickup bass) to compliment it.

420 miles? Where do you live?

Thanks Chris-b,

We're up in the wilds of West Cumbria, no mobile phones, no BT internet (well 400kbs is possible when it's dry) so this is brought to you by satellite broadband!  Heaven!

The current bass is a modded (old) PJ, so we have 2 pick-ups (upgraded), the bass has an upgraded bridge, new pots/wiring, has been well set up.  I like the neck profile but think that it might be worth investing in a newer/better version in terms of build quality, woods used, tuners, etc. as I don't think investing more in the current bass makes sense.  Increasingly it seems that a new PJ with the appropriate neck "feel" might be the way to go.   And that takes us to Fender style guitars or more unique designs eg Warwick etc.   Tried a few Jazzes, but these seem more similar to my current Ibanez, in terms of feel and sound. 

And yes, I know, I'm dithering!!!

Oh, and I do like natural wood finishes ..................

Oh, and I've tried a variety of strings ending up with Thomastic Infeld flats - which are my favourites, (but not so cheap!).  Tried Rotosound flats but these weren't for me and a number of different roundwounds from DR Black Beauties to Elixir's - however these seem to take me and the bass into brighter more modern (is the term Zingy?) territory.

Hey Ho.  

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Fender Jazz Bass Special would be what I would look for.  One of the earlier MIJ ones with a Jazz width neck.  They have a J pup as well, although you don't have to use it.

Just be aware that the very first run (serial number starts with A ) have a P neck.

These were non-export so quite rare over here.

Fender American Standard Jaguar?

It has switchable P & J pick ups which can also be switched to series or parallel.  Also switchable active/passive and still works in passive with flat batteries.

The neck is jazz dimensions.

The only problem is that they were only made for a couple of years (2014 to 2015?) so might be hard to find.  I have seen a couple for sale on basschat.

Mine's not for sale.  :)

Frank.

• Like 2