Why become a member? ×

Best small combo for Stagg eub

richardd

In what was is it not happening , no sound , bad sound . I was talking to some guy a few years ago who had a Stagg eub and he told me it was ok for the house , but not for gigging as I was thinking of getting one at the time 

I prefer playing my Stagg EUB than my acoustic upright in my 'non traditional' 50s rock and roll / country band and use the TC Electronic BodyRez and a delay/reverb pedal to just add a smidge of 'air' to proceedings. Hardly anything at all on the delay and reverb, but BodyRez pedal at about 9 o'clock. Band mates much prefer the sound of my Stagg compared to my DB (which i have always struggled getting a consistent amplified tone from) as the bass is much more strident like it would be from bass guitar (unsurprisingly) which gives a bit more space for the single guitar to back off rhythm a little.

Works for me either into my own small rig (Phil Jones Bass D200 and C4 cab) or into the studio backline - I just need to back off the bass by quite a chunk if going into a 15" combo. Live I use my rig mainly for monitoring and DI into PA, on guitar or doubling on EUB.

Edited by randythoades

On 18/03/2019 at 18:38, leschirons said:

Hi Richard, 

I've recently acquired two EUBs and both sound great through a little EBS session 60 combo. Cheap as chips secondhand (about £100 - £120)   and plenty loud enough. Loads of great features too.

Hi hope you are both well in France .Thanks for the advice ,will check the combo out .Rich☺

• Like 1

Hi Richard,
Hope you are well good sir? :)
When you say "It's not happening with the Markbass rig" - I too am wondering what you mean exactly - and just what the rig is?

When I first started playing upright, I had a MB rig. A CMD210 and a 1x15 cab. Both my EUB and acoustic DB at the time, sounded OK with the CMD
But as soon as I added the 1x15, or even played through a separate head, just using the 15" - I never liked the sound. No matter what I did (including trying several different heads) the 15" just produced a muddy sound, with very indistinct tones, especially on the lower notes. I had been perfectly happy with the 15" added to the rig when playing bass guitar. I really liked the sound.... but was never happy when playing upright through it.

I've heard several theories as to why 15's aren't great for upright - I won't go into too much depth here, as it's covered elsewhere, and in any case - I'm not sure just how true those theories are...... or whether it's a culmination of lots of factors.
Suffice to say, that I never liked the sound, via a speaker I previously liked for bass guitar. I've heard several upright players saying the same thing. I now have a MB210 Traveller cab as part of a flexible rig (several cabs, couple of heads -for different bands / different size venues etc). I must say, I quite like the sound of the 210 with my EUB. Even better, when playing smaller gigs & acoustic jams, I have an Epifani UL110, and I love the sound of that. It's great with both BG and upright..... but not on its' own for larger gigs (it just isn't big enough)

I also sometimes use a MB 12" cab, and that's great with BG, but not quite so nice with either EUB or acoustic DB. So the theory that upright is better through smaller speakers seems to ring true.
I used to own a PJB 4x5 cab, and that was a great cab for upright. I've heard some great sounds by people using other PJ equipment - all with small speakers
So if there's a 15" or even some 12"'s in your rig - try borrowing some 10"'s

Hi Mark.I have a Markbass sa450 and a 104hf. I have tried today a Phil jones cub 2x5 combo,bass sounded different again.Think the 4x10 is just to many speakers.I have to have the bass round down on the amp,So I think the phil jones is the way to go,Stagg sounds really smooth through that,