Why become a member? ×

Homemade Bass stand

steviedee

On 12/05/2020 at 11:45, Duckyincarnate said:

Those basses rockabillies stand on are heavily reinforced, to the point where the acoustic sound is significantly compromised. They fall somewhere between a musical instrument and a stage prop. 

Hmmmmm. Some are, usually the more energetic end of the psychobilly spectrum, but any properly-constructed DB should be strong enough to support a bass player standing on the C-bout, which is (arguably) the most reinforced part of a DB anyway. And of course it helps (a lot) that rockabilly style normally keeps the end-pin all the way IN.

You can buy 'strengthened' DBs and you can retrofit reinforcement to an existing DB, but it's all a bit of a waste of time (IMHO). If you're going to treat a DB badly enough to risk physically breaking it somewhere important, then for the cost of the reinforcement you could just buy a cheap Chinese knock-off.

The last point is that if you or your bass or your band sound like **** then no amount of clowning about on the DB will rescue the gig. If you can play properly whilst performing crowd-pleasing tricks (I'm looking at you, @PaulKing) then well done that man ... carry on!

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Do you flatpack it away after each gig?

What does it look like with a DB on it?

Any chance you could let me know the height of the flanks that the bass sits on?  Just wondering if I would have to retract the end pin in order to stand the bass on it every time.

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Cripes! Unless there is more than one Paul King who plays ridiculously competent rockabilly bass...

I'd better drop him a PM!

Ha, 'tis me Mr 'Mandrel'! Not so much rockabilly these days, but definitely still a lot of this...

Paul back Ealing Club.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulKing said:

Ha, 'tis me Mr 'Mandrel'! Not so much rockabilly these days, but definitely still a lot of this...

Paul back Ealing Club.jpg

Good grief!

The only member of Basschat who has more hair than thirty years ago!

1 hour ago, PaulKing said:

Note the excited and very pleased crowd.

Fight those groupies off with a pointed stick!

21 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Do you flatpack it away after each gig?

What does it look like with a DB on it?

18 hours ago, Basilpea said:

Any chance you could let me know the height of the flanks that the bass sits on?  Just wondering if I would have to retract the end pin in order to stand the bass on it every time.

I'll get some pictures this weekend.

• Like 1

Here you go. I don't take mine apart, it just stays at home. 

For the bottom section, it's 20 cm from the floor to the section the bass sits on at the rear and 24 cm at the front, if that makes sense.The bottom sides are slanted so the bass tilts. Also, Once I put the bass on the stand, I reach under and loosen the end pin until it drops to the floor which helps hold the bas in the stand more securely IMO.

db-stand3.JPG

db-stand2.JPG

db-stand1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I'm looking for a stand for a 1/4 DB - I'm tempted by the HORA one TPJ posted - would it work for a smaller bass do you think?

another alternative would be to DIY a stand like the upton bass model, but I'm still not exactly certain how stable they are. If the bass is just resting on them, aren't they susceptible to falling forward?

thanks

6 hours ago, sorrel said:

I'm looking for a stand for a 1/4 DB - I'm tempted by the HORA one TPJ posted - would it work for a smaller bass do you think?

another alternative would be to DIY a stand like the upton bass model, but I'm still not exactly certain how stable they are. If the bass is just resting on them, aren't they susceptible to falling forward?

thanks

It might work if the lower bouts are wide enough on the bass. Besides sticking the bass in a corner, the Hora stand has been the most solid feeling. I tried a box stand but it just didn't feel stable enough for me. The Hercules stand is a possibility if it's adjustable. You could even maybe look at cello stands for a 1/4 db.

21 hours ago, sorrel said:

thanks

My bass is not much bigger than a quarter size and it fits fine. I'll get a pic.