Why become a member? ×

Homemade Bass stand

steviedee

Has anyone had a go at making a double bass stand? I’m thinking of something similar to the Upton bass stand below, or the other attached. There is also one Concord Double bass stand here which looks like it would work  http://www.kontrabass-atelier.de/zubehoer_e.html 

The problem being I am pretty hopeless at DIY but I do have access to a CNC Milling Machine at work and am about to book on to some training. I think you just create you designs in Illustrator or something and upload it via a web interface and it does all the work but I’ll find out. The Concord stand is CNC milled MDF.  I think I would need to source the bars in the appropriate size and shape in wood or metal and then mill the sides which would create the shape and holes for the bars.

The machine I have access to is not huge so potentially it might not be able to handle the size but people have made chopping boards etc and the bass is an odd size just bigger than 1/4 size, so I’ll see.

Be great if anyone had plans so I didnt need to do any work tho!      

upton_double_bass_stand_005.jpg

Bassico-Kontrabassstaender-Holz_140_1_la

D0u3MmDX4AAtbrF?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

I made something similar out of an old pine shelving unit.

I also am hopeless at DIY and don't have access to any tools more interesting than a drill but still somehow managed to put together two functioning if not particularly pretty looking stands.

I'll take some photos later...

Here we go:

20190307_213723.jpg

20190307_213712.jpg

20190307_213806.jpg

Edited by TheRev
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steviedee said:

That looks great!  I was thinking of something similar but with thick wooden dowels.

I considered dowels but was worried that the whole thing might flex too much - more due to my cack-handed building than any properties of the dowels. 

I pulled this info from a talkbass thread about making these. I'l be constructing one soon too. :)

The 2 x 8s are 21 1/4", the 2 x 10s are 10 5/16" with a 38 degree bevel ripped on most of the inside face and the 2 x 4 is 10 5/16" with a 1 1/2" hole in the centre. 
The end pieces were propped up on the other 2 x 8 to raise them 1 1/2" while I screwed the front on. The 2 x 4 endpin holder was likewise raised 1 1/2".

For the dowel stand, The 1"x8"'s are 2' long and the 4 pieces of closet hanger dowel are 1' long.

1629123259_DBStandS.jpg.053d78df21401333f970999a138d9618.jpg

DB-wooden-stand-dowels-1.thumb.jpg.7716c2e9d99366db37a4889ab70f1e86.jpgDB-wooden-stand-2.thumb.jpg.c0882d24f5b1ed25eca0f44cd9898c82.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, that’ll be the MK2 version. It is a tad inconvenient but as this stand stays at home it’s not too much of a problem. If it was that important I would jack it up by putting legs on it. But respect to those stands that have preceded mine on this topic. Some stylish stuff here.

I would be dubious about a DB stand that has no neck support. How sturdy are the ones you have made?---meaning that having no neck support. Are the bass's  'kept out of harms way? '

Some guys don't like/use stands on gigs--I use a stand and I think putting a bass on a stand is safer than laying it down on the floor--even band members accidentally will knock into them. I did hear of a bassist who after a gig put his DB on the floor to pack up and one of the band accidentally walked into the bass and broke the neck of the bass--a costly gig!

17 hours ago, gypsyjazzer said:

I would be dubious about a DB stand that has no neck support. How sturdy are the ones you have made?---meaning that having no neck support. Are the bass's  'kept out of harms way? '

Mine are for home use only, in my 'bass alcove, where the upper bout is in contact with the wall for added stability.

The stands are surprisingly sturdy, I sometimes use mine as step to get stuff from high shelves.

• 1 year later...

@bassace, Can you tell me the dimensions of your four sided box? That one looks sturdy and easy to make.

I have been measuring my bass for the last 20 minutes and putting it in various carboard boxes to guess about what size to make a bass stand, but I really am not sure. 

Jesse

On 09/03/2019 at 21:01, gypsyjazzer said:

Some guys don't like/use stands on gigs--I use a stand and I think putting a bass on a stand is safer than laying it down on the floor--even band members accidentally will knock into them. I did hear of a bassist who after a gig put his DB on the floor to pack up and one of the band accidentally walked into the bass and broke the neck of the bass--a costly gig!

You should never support a double bass by it's neck. It's both the most fragile part AND the most difficult to repair. I'm not a fan of stands in general, my bass lives in a corner, bridge facing in, when at home. On a gig it's either in my hands or on the floor behind my stool. If it's on the floor it can't fall... 

On a gig I used to put my DB on the ribs on the floor--if no corner available. On a few occasions someone in the band would walk into the bass if it was on the floor.

A DB player I know put his bass down after the gig. The band were packing up--a band member tripped over the bass--broke the neck of the bass--bass player not a happy bunny. I use a stand--no hassle. (Of course put the stand in a good place).

There was a well remembered incident, on the South Coast I think, where the bass player put his instrument on its side on the floor behind an upright piano. You’ve guessed it, the piano fell backwards and flattened the bass. I know the bassist but I wouldn’t bring up painful memories.

As above, if I can’t find a corner - and most time there isn’t one - I put my bass on its ribs. Once I’d just got off the stage at the half time break and I heard a splintering noise as the sax player walked in to it and put his foot through the table. Only a small split but it still cost a grand at a well known firm of bass makers/purveyors.

A stand is good but it’s an extra bit of metal in the car and intrudes into my playing space, not generous at the best of times.

Some nasty incidents involving double basses there folks.... Sorry to hear about them.

I saw someone else lay their bass on its side, at the back of the stage. Still someone managed to kick the bass, right by the bridge. No damage, but they managed to dislodge the jack socket, and the lead out of the socket... With accompanying loud pop from the amp..

It seems there's no 100% safe way to keep a DB when on stage. But those stands look a neat solution. Nice work guys. :)

The answer clearly is a solid bodied doublebass 🤔

and a crane. 😆

I've always got my amp on a stand behind but to the right of me, I'll normally leave my bass on it's ribs with scroll just against my amp stand and the endpin against the back wall with the bridge facing inwards. It seems the safest I can normally get it but I still worry. Luckily my band mates are quite careful. 

11 minutes ago, TPJ said:

I bought one of these too and agree, they work great and the rubber is too thin, but easily fixed.

The rubber ripped almost immediately but Thomann gave me a few quid off which was good. But otherwise it's really great.