Why become a member? ×

Relic-ing: is it still a thing?

skankdelvar

Relicking most definitely exists in lots of other areas, shabby chic furniture, ratlook cars and bikes, ripped and faded clothes, tarnished and dented brass instruments, scratched and faded string instruments, etc. All fair enough, whether you like it or not doesn't matter as it's most definitely a popular style, the one thing that does matter is that Antigua finish exists and only exists in the guitar/bass world and should be stamped out. Even the bizarre world of fashion or the unemployable that declare themselves 'interior designers' wouldn't stoop this low, so what does that say about lovers of Antigua. Wronguns the lot of ya! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maude said:

the one thing that does matter is that Antigua finish exists

I always thought I must be the only person with a severe reaction to the Antigua finish. Evidently not.

Perhaps we should form an Antigua survivors group: 10-step talking-it-out sessions; hands-on massages from qualified 'practitioners'; aversion therapy involving three week trips to Antigua (the place).

The government should pay for this support; we're the victims, after all.

Antigua finish is one of those things that should have been tried but never released. Every finish should be tried, and then some of them released, and some of them, such as antigua, the person who made it should have been slapped and told not to be so stupid.

• Haha 1

The web site from which I nicked the Antigua wall of shame pic alleges that the Antigua finish was born back in the late 60's when the body binding process employed on the Coronado II accidentally burned the edges of the body.

The site continues: "Instead of chucking the bodies, Fender developed a color scheme that burst from black on the burned edges to a type of mustard yellow on the inside of the burst". 

Antigua_Coronado_large.jpg?v=1494962419

So, not quite the same as the Antigua we know and - er - love. It's even nastier (or nicer, if one is that way inclined).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I always thought I must be the only person with a severe reaction to the Antigua finish. Evidently not.

Perhaps we should form an Antigua survivors group: 10-step talking-it-out sessions; hands-on massages from qualified 'practitioners'; aversion therapy involving three week trips to Antigua (the place).

If you think it would help I'd be happy to give that a go, as long as it was fully funded of course. 

Maybe the hotel in Antigua where the rehabilitation would take place should have a catchy name like Antigua Support Scheme Inclusive Therapy Care Home, although a bit long it could be abbreviated. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Move from anti-gua to pro-gua?

I must admit I always thought that finish was just a bad sunburst.

I am now traumatised by seeing it applied around f-holes.

It's a sort of 'dirty sanchez' for guitars...

• Haha 1

I don't have a dog in this particular fight so it's been fun reading all the different views. As is often the case one thing I have noticed is that the only people getting upset about the issue seem to be those posting how they "don't understand why people get so upset about the issue". 

Which has a pleasant irony to it. 

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

I don't have a dog in this particular fight so it's been fun reading all the different views. As is often the case one thing I have noticed is that the only people getting upset about the issue seem to be those posting how they "don't understand why people get so upset about the issue". 

Which has a pleasant irony to it. 

Not as ironic as someone who feels upset enough to post that 'the only people getting upset about the issue seem to be those posting how they "don't understand why people get so upset about the issue". '

I could have opened to door to infinite recursion here 😈

• Haha 1