Why become a member? ×

Relic-ing: is it still a thing?

skankdelvar

2 hours ago, Slappindabass said:

Òoooo  mine should be here next week. Been a bloody long 3 months!!!🤣

Was it yours that was waiting for parts that caused mine to jump the queue a head of you?

Oh dear, what a shame - never mind! 😂

Each to their own; but even genuinely road worn basses don't float my boat.

In fact, I must confess to being extra careful; verging on OCD, to keep my basses looking as unmarked as possible - which is a particular challenge in the more cramped venues I play in.😯

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, owen said:

I have a friend who builds lovely Violins etc. He mildly relics them because the Orchestral bods pure loves a bit of patina. It is not just us.

Bet they do!

I recall learning Upright at school. When I started the class (it was an offshoot of the main music class) there was only one bass there, a new-ish one. It had a hard, aggressive tone and two other students said 'wait until the old one comes back from repair.' When it did, I fell in love with it. Not just for the tone but for the way it looked. 

On 18/04/2019 at 10:21, NikNik said:

This is something I really like that Limelight did.......

Limelight Jazz.jpg

Why is it that it's considered a good thing to have something relicked to look like that, but if it had attained that look by the normal means of being dragged behind a car and then left in a pond for a year, it would be rightly considered as being horrible? I wouldn't want to touch that without rubber gloves on.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tauzero said:

Why is it that it's considered a good thing to have something relicked to look like that, but if it had attained that look by the normal means of being dragged behind a car and then left in a pond for a year, it would be rightly considered as being horrible? I wouldn't want to touch that without rubber gloves on.

Rubber gloves? What are you afraid of?

Appearance and aesthetics aside, the above Jazz is a testament to Mark's skill in the relicing process. And that's something I admire: his skill.

35 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Rubber gloves? What are you afraid of?

Appearance and aesthetics aside, the above Jazz is a testament to Mark's skill in the relicing process. And that's something I admire: his skill.

I don't think I've ever seen a genuine bass from the 60's or 70's with the patina of years on the road that looks as bashed up as a heavy relic, they appear to me at least as fake as an ERG politicians promise. I couldn't bring myself to go for a light relic either, feels a bit like a personalised number plate on a Ford Mondeo, but each to their own..

• Haha 2