Why become a member? ×

Relic-ing: is it still a thing?

skankdelvar

I was finding this cathartic - seems I am on a chocolate swirly downward spiral.

I certainly don’t want anger to lead to fear, hatred and then madness.

You May be right, I caught myself looking at a ....burst bass the other day, and not wretching like the crying game

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

I was finding this cathartic - seems I am on a chocolate swirly downward spiral.

I certainly don’t want anger to lead to fear, hatred and then madness.

You May be right, I caught myself looking at a ....burst bass the other day, and not wretching like the crying game

Using the word turdburst is where you may be going astray.

It is a somewhat yet not entirely abstract description of the colours on one particular variation of a well known bit of popular Americana.  Me?  I think that colour scheme looks more like someone has prolapsed rather badly onto a big sheet of blotting paper and then put a sheet of tortoiseshell down in a poor attempt to cover up the stain.

There is no doubt that we both should seek professional advice.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@stingrayPete1977 I see your Ray is surviving the rest of time, but the question is how long/how many playing hours to get an ‘honest’ relic in someone with average acidity in their acrid sweat and a normal sized belt buckle using pick, slap and fingers?

I'm not sure really, I know a professional player that plays most nights and all his kit is still quite tidy really. 

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I think if we had a Shaun of the Dead moment - I would actually use the non-relic bass as a bat, mainly because it’s a Hohner....

Or more strictly, because you can hit a zombie with a Hohner headless and it won't go out of tune...

Belts, bangles and beer. The unholy trinity that will make a mess of your finish. Well these and a few years of hard gigging. It’s just that modern finishes don’t wear in the cool way that the old ones do. 

Edited by ubit

It’s all down to taste, innit? Some like pristine, some like worn looking. Some like worn looking but only if it’s natural. Some don’t care, as the look is what matters. Who’s right and who’s wrong? 

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

There is no doubt that we both should seek professional advice.

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

me and @SpondonBassed are going to therapy for that 

Speak for yourself!  I only said that we should not that I would...  I am perfectly happy to carry on shouting at squirrels and Fender evangelists.  Let me enjoy my dotage please.

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I would actually use the non-relic bass as a bat, mainly because it’s a Hohner....

I love my Hohner.  That's fighting talk.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Or more strictly, because you can hit a zombie with a Hohner headless and it won't go out of tune...

Oh okay.  Fair enough.  It's a valid point and it means that Cuzzie and me are still cool.

Plus... Hohner paddle basses don't fall over because of the two strap buttons.  They aren't going to get the usual knocks and dings as a result.  They keep their finish a bit better.

Is tw4tting zombies about the head with a bass a recognised relicising technique then?

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I agree.  A tasteful airbrush job depicting splattered zombie skull and brain fragments with appropriate gouges taken out here and there.

The word 'tasteful' has no place in that sentence. 😁

Edited by Skinnyman

57 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

My kind of therapy would be a good chinwag and a beverage of choice!

I have 2 Hohners, a passive white and an active black with Drop D tuner - love them.

Zombie Bash - That would be a fantastic colour I may work on, or get someone to!

My Hohner is natural finish - that way the paint doesn't get chipped (although a bit of lacquer has got knocked off one of the corners. Damn).

14 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Using the word turdburst is where you may be going astray.

... I think that colour scheme looks more like someone has prolapsed rather badly onto a big sheet of blotting paper and then put a sheet of tortoiseshell down in a poor attempt to cover up the stain.

I believe the technical term is Turd Chromatography. It's a big thing in certain dark corners of the internet, apparently. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2019 at 22:10, stingrayPete1977 said:

It definitely needs a vet to give it a once over if it's pooped that out, thankfully it looks like he's painted the inside of the jack socket so hopefully it won't be making an appearance at any gigs anytime soon, lol. 

Nope, just the outside. It's a special rust paint. You brush on a base coat, then spray a mixture over it and it produces real rust on any surface you want. I bought the stuff for artistic experiments. I rusted candlesticks, picture frames etc. then decided to try the old guitar. It still plays beautifully.

• Like 1