Why become a member? ×

Relic-ing: is it still a thing?

skankdelvar

20 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Maybe i explained badly

I don't think Fenders look better worn than pristine - i just think that they take the whole battered look a lot better than some other manufacturers ( a battered Les Paul looks rubbish for example ).

"Greeny" is my favourite-looking guitar. I love a beat up Les Paul, far more than a shiny new one. Gotta be VOS at least!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I saw Rory playing it.

You really would not have wanted to borrow his towel afterwards.

He was phenomenal, even his mandolin playing was absolutely incredible.

I saw him too (he was a big fave of mine prior to me starting playing), and met him and the band once, when I was probably about 19 or 20, at a motorway service station. I was sat eating with my parents and my mum said "who's Rory Gallagher?" pointing to a guy wearing a RG t-shirt. Turned out it was the band. What a lovely man he was. I still have his autograph and went to see him that night in Manchester.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

At the complete opposite end of the scale, why is it that people have a problem with instruments being refinished?

No idea.

I don't have a problem with it at all. In fact one of the basses that I use most regularly had a £850 complete refurb including stripping off the remains of the original finish and respraying in a (IMO) more attractive colour.

On 05/03/2019 at 12:47, skankdelvar said:

Is it my imagination or am I seeing fewer reliced instruments out there? Fewer manufacturers offering 'road worn' options? A shortage of eBay chancers with belt sanders?

Just wondering.

I think it's mostly your imagination, although I'm definitely not a big fan. One luthier friend of mine charges less for his relic models, since they take considerably less time to finish. The first time I took one back to my shop for some electronics work he handed it to me without a case or bag: "What are you gonna do, scratch it?"  Or_wink.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I get annoyed when folk say, just let it age on its own. Modern lacquer does not age in the same way that the old lacquers did. They don't crack and fade in the same way. In fact, modern lacquer is nigh on indestructible. If you want that road worn look, you have to buy a relic'd guitar.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

But if you strip it to make it relickeyingable, does that then also count as fake mojo, forced mojo etc.......

I'm sure one of the self-appointed holier-than-thou guardians of the true mojo will be along any moment to give us the benefit of their God-given wisdom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Sandberg California, which is the best relic job I have ever seen on a guitar. The second pic is my old Status. It had modern lacquer on it and just looked bad after years of abuse in the back of vans and audience participation etc. I experimented with some rust paint. It still plays lovely.

qYMgjtIMQoa2R1PaFiifbg.jpg

h2Y6dUkKSACB93QHRgqGig.jpg

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If you were really serious about natural “relic’ing“ on a modern instrument you could have the original finish stripped and replaced with nitro that will age in a sympathetic way.

I did that - then I reliced it anyway 

On 06/03/2019 at 08:52, Paddy515 said:

Nothing beats 25 years natural wear on a 25 year old bass - my Squier Japenese Silver Series.

sq1.jpg

sq3.jpg

sq2.jpg

What kind of lame donkey relic job is that ? Hit it with a bunch of keys from five storeys up - none of this slight abrasion rubbish :P

22 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

It definitely needs a vet to give it a once over if it's pooped that out, thankfully it looks like he's painted the inside of the jack socket so hopefully it won't be making an appearance at any gigs anytime soon, lol. 

I'll put you down as slightly ambivalent then.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If you were really serious about natural “relic’ing“ on a modern instrument you could have the original finish stripped and replaced with nitro that will age in a sympathetic way.

How can you possibly suggest a refin?