Why become a member? ×

Relic-ing: is it still a thing?

skankdelvar

Surely the appearance of the bass doesn't matter at all, it is all down to the sound and play-ability of the bass? Here is a photo of two of my Precision's, both very different basses, on the right is a Custom Shop 63 heavy relic and on the left is a near mint 79 Precision.

I brought the heavy relic 2nd hand purely because I couldn't afford a genuine 63 bass but more importantly it is a fantastic bass to play and with a brilliant sound, on the flip side I brought the 79 because I loved the way it looked and the condition of it, however, it doesn't play anywhere near as well as the CS bass and doesn't sound as good either....so one question....is the 79 bass in such good condition because previous owners have cared for it or because they haven't played it that much because it isn't a great Precision?

The only downside to the CS bass for me is that I am not comfortable with gigging it in pubs just in case it is mistaken for a genuine vintage Precision and some scumbag decides to have it on their toes with it.

I don't really care about the finish only about how it plays and sounds. 

P1180156.JPG

For me appearance does matter. I've owned 3 basses whose wear could be described as more than just a few dings.

The first is an early 60s Burns Sonic Bass. It looked like it already had a hard life when I bought it in 1981, although I've now got used to its appearance. However because I've been using it quite a lot recently for recording, at some point in the near future its going have a bit of work done to it to increase the playability, and I will probably get the more obtrusive dings and dents seen to at the same time.

The second was a second-hand Gus G3 which I picked up very cheap off eBay because it was in a terrible state. Once I'd decided that it was a bass I'd like to keep, it was sent back to Simon Farmer to Gus for a complete overhaul including a re-spray of the body and neck, and new chrome on all the aluminium parts. When I got it back it looked like a brand new bass.

The last was a fretless 5-string Overwater Original, previously owned by a reasonably well-known session bassist who'd used it on sessions all over the world, and was starting to look a bit shabby which wasn't really surprising for a bass that was over 25 years old when I bought it. Had I decided to keep it, I would have probably sent it back to Overwater for a refinish. However I decided that I had other basses that did the same job better and it was sold on.

• Like 1

Maybe its just me, but things like strats/teles/P basses and J basses can look good in slightly battered condition cos they are very workmanlike instruments, and have the history to plausibly end up in that state.

But things like that Fodera just look damaged. It's beautifully crafted, with stunning wood etc, and then wrecked to look like its been played to death. Nah, not for me.

Incidentally, i'd expect to see a decline in headstock fag burns now, as you can never smoke at the gig anyway...

• Like 2

Like with women,  for me it's all about looks first with basses and guitars 😉   . When looking for a new instrument it's shape and colour first and foremost, then how they play. If it looks wrong or ugly, even if it sounded sweet as a nut, I wouldn't buy it. As with leather jackets and denim jeans if a bass  or guitar looks a bit battered through extensive use then they look cool.  A fake worn look is anything but!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

Surely the appearance of the bass doesn't matter at all, it is all down to the sound and play-ability of the bass? Here is a photo of two of my Precision's, both very different basses, on the right is a Custom Shop 63 heavy relic and on the left is a near mint 79 Precision.

I brought the heavy relic 2nd hand purely because I couldn't afford a genuine 63 bass but more importantly it is a fantastic bass to play and with a brilliant sound, on the flip side I brought the 79 because I loved the way it looked and the condition of it, however, it doesn't play anywhere near as well as the CS bass and doesn't sound as good either....so one question....is the 79 bass in such good condition because previous owners have cared for it or because they haven't played it that much because it isn't a great Precision?

The only downside to the CS bass for me is that I am not comfortable with gigging it in pubs just in case it is mistaken for a genuine vintage Precision and some scumbag decides to have it on their toes with it.

I don't really care about the finish only about how it plays and sounds. 

P1180156.JPG

Looks are incredibly important to me, and to most of the musicians I know, whether their preference is relic-d or not.

The thing I've found with many relic-d ( or genuinely worn) instruments is they simply feel better. Of course YMMV. And as Bassbiscuits said, something like a Fender to me just looks far better worn. I just don't like the look of a shiny new Fender. I remember when I first saw a picture of Jaco and the Bass of Doom, back in 1980 or so, I just thought the bass looked fabulous. Same with Rory's Strat. If I was to buy another Fender-type it would be a Limelight or Roadworn, unless I could stretch to real vintage. An Alembic on the other hand probably looks better to me reasonably pristine. However I don't generally like owning pristine instruments; the gigs we play, there is no way they'd ever stay that way.   

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

For situations like this it’s perfect for choice.

Someone can own an iconic bass to them, at an affordable price, with less reliability issues as well.

Lots of people have been comparing the car analogy and scuffing it up etc.

Well, when the brought back the Ford Shelby Mustang they popped the modern engine in the old chassis and suspension - guess what, it was poo and couldn’t handle the torque, steering etc. So they made it like the old one but with new parts 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Like with women,  for me it's all about looks first with basses and guitars 😉   . When looking for a new instrument it's shape and colour first and foremost, then how they play. If it looks wrong or ugly, even if it sounded sweet as a nut, I wouldn't buy it. As with leather jackets and denim jeans if a bass  or guitar looks a bit battered through extensive use then they look cool.  A fake worn look is anything but!

So looks aren't necessarily first or foremost for me with a bass, but they're definitely an important factor, particularly if I'm spending a lot on a bass and if it has a 'wow' factor in terms of look, finish and feel, that's a real plus! 

I thought @stingrayPete1977 put it really well when he said that a white / black / burst etc. bass isn't pretending to be anything other than what it is. A relic'd bass clearly is. BUT if it makes its owner happy then wtf guys. Move on, life's too short. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

A relic bass is not pretending to be anything else other than a type of finish - that’s it. No more than a burst is trying to look like a massive turd, except it does.

That is what is hard to understand but to coin an @Al Krow phrase/sentiment - what is Basschat without massive treads talking codswallop that not many other people care about

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Looks are incredibly important to me, and to most of the musicians I know, whether their preference is relic-d or not.

I remember when I first saw a picture of Jaco and the Bass of Doom, back in 1980 or so, I just thought the bass looked fabulous. Same with Rory's Strat.

I've seen Rory Gallagher's Strat up close and I have to say it's minging! I'm glad it was in a sealed display cabinet otherwise I might have worried about catching something from it...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dankology said:

For the guitars it just seems like wearing someone else's medals to me. As ever, something other than music itself is being used as a marketing tool... 

That's how it would make me feel too if I was offered a bass in such condition.

Like yourself; I'd want it looking its best for its age.  The trick is knowing just how much restoration you can do without it looking like it's new.  Age appropriate restos are a skill in themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Of course YMMV. And as Bassbiscuits said, something like a Fender to me just looks far better worn. I just don't like the look of a shiny new Fender.

Maybe i explained badly

I don't think Fenders look better worn than pristine - i just think that they take the whole battered look a lot better than some other manufacturers ( a battered Les Paul looks rubbish for example ).

I've got no problem with pristine instruments. I had a 1996 USA P bass and played the absolute b*llocks off it for 10 years, even drunkenly slamming a fire door open with it after a gig. It didn't even make a mark on it, the paint was so thick.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I've seen Rory Gallagher's Strat up close and I have to say it's minging! I'm glad it was in a sealed display cabinet otherwise I might have worried about catching something from it...

I saw Rory playing it.

You really would not have wanted to borrow his towel afterwards.

He was phenomenal, even his mandolin playing was absolutely incredible.

31 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I saw Rory playing it.....

You lucky divil!  He is one of the all time greats in my humble opinion.  Now I'm going to search for material showing his mandolin skills.  Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry to veer off-topic for a bit of idol worship.  As you were.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

You lucky divil!  He is one of the all time greats in my humble opinion.  Now I'm going to search for material showing his mandolin skills.  Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry to veer off-topic for a bit of idol worship.  As you were.

On the subject of the state of that guitar it's worth seeing http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/archives/guitars

" I’ve had to take the neck off occasionally and dry it out – it was getting damp with doing so many gigs and I started to have tuning problems. "

It also says he had unusually acidic sweat due to his blood group, whether this was why it was so copious is another question!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I saw Rory playing it.

You really would not have wanted to borrow his towel afterwards.

Me too, mid 80's. He was probably slightly past his peak and I'm not the biggest blues fan but you could tell he was a bit special.

I was going along the lines of havin an older bass looking shabby, or you don’t like the colour, you refinish it and tart it up to look good as new, this providing fake new unworn lack of mojo, or fooling people that it’s been very gently cared for all these years.

Of course if you flip it and talk about relickeying a new bass, then yep, the naysayers will say lamb as mutton 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I was going along the lines of havin an older bass looking shabby, or you don’t like the colour, you refinish it and tart it up to look good as new, this providing fake new unworn lack of mojo, or fooling people that it’s been very gently cared for all these years.

Of course if you flip it and talk about relickeying a new bass, then yep, the naysayers will say lamb as mutton 

Sorry I was just teasing you, I should have added emotes but yes I agree