Why become a member? ×

Looper type Pedal

Waterboarder

Not strictly bass effects related, however I am looking for a looper type pedal to trigger samples through the PA during a live band set (while also playing bass). Thing is, I'm not completely sure what I'm going to need - have been recommended the Digitech Jam Man Stereo, however there seems to be several different types and I don't really need a memory bank for 99 loops/effects and wondered if there is a more simple solution? I'm assuming any looper pedal with an SD card will work, however I just wanted to see what, if anything, others might be using for this purpose?

Cheers.

If you want to play samples other than your own playing, you need a looper that you can connect to a computer, so you can add audio files that you have already recorded.

OR, you can play the relevant instrument into the looper, and save your work at the appropriate tempo.

http://looperpedalreviews.com/ is a great place to read about loopers.

I use a Boss RC-300, which is initially complex to understand, but I think is the daddy of loopers for ease of use live.

There are tons of YouTube videos on looping, with some amazingly talented people.

I suspect that really you’re looking for a small sample pad rather than a looper pedal? Doesn’t sound from your description that you want to record bass loops on the fly and play over them but rather trigger other pre-recorded samples?

I literally took delivery of the JamMan stereo today.

I've spent all day loading in the keyboard backing to the intro of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Floyd. I recorded the parts on Garageband with its excellent choice of keyboards (the B3 Hammond is outstanding IMO) and then just simply recorded them onto seperate patches (each key onto a seperate patch), ie Gm intro on patch one, Dm on patch 2, Cm on Patch 3 and so on untill I have the whole keyboard sequence for the 5 minute intro ready to scroll through with my foot while Im doing duty on bass. 13 patches for that song :)

I also have a patch with the moog intro to Xanadu, and another patch with the air raid siren for War Pigs, you simply use the up/down funtion on the footswitch.

Im rehersing the Floyd tonight, I think I'll be tap dancing like Fred Astaire but should be a laugh, I'll let you know how I get on!

The main thing you need to think about is how you are going to change the patches ie the backing tracks, with you foot is the easiest option and for that you need the JamMan stereo, they're £112 at the moment at DV247

Edited by skidder652003