Why become a member? ×

Bass for a 6 year old.

nash

We got an Ibanez Mikro for our daughter when she was (a small) 9 year old. 10 now and still moans about the stretching at the money end, but she's working towards Rockschool Grade 4 on it and is planning to audition for School of Rock in the West End soon.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/gsrm20_03.html

Nice bit of kit for the money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrCrane said:

We got an Ibanez Mikro for our daughter when she was (a small) 9 year old. 10 now and still moans about the stretching at the money end, but she's working towards Rockschool Grade 4 on it and is planning to audition for School of Rock in the West End soon.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/gsrm20_03.html

Nice bit of kit for the money.

That’s awesome!

6 hours ago, nash said:

fathers/mothers what bass did you buy for your child?

I’m thinking a Squier Jaguar SS. I think the 30” scale is a good choice because you can still use it when you’re fully grown. 

I bought an Ibanez Mikro for my sons' 7th birthday he's loved playing & it's going to last him a good while, I've enjoyed using it too & can also say despite it being scaled down it is a very useful Instrument  & I'll look to modding/upgrading components in the future.

Indy bass.jpg

Edited by dieseldalziel
to include photo
  • Like 2

All the children around here have started on a Firefox Mini Precision Bass bought new in the early 1992, so a real collector now. 😉

It was made in Indonesia in the Sunn factory at the time. If you find one second hand for a decent price, go on.

It looks like that https://best-vintage-guitars.de/firefox_mini_precision_bass.html

Mine is red.

• Like 1

How about Danelectro of some sort? My Longhorn is 30" scale, rediculously light, slim neck, amazing access to upper frets so no stretching around, sounds great, especially if you wire in a series switch, and you can get them relatively cheaply. 

• Like 1

The Hofner violin bass is short scale and very light, although might be a bit big still for a 6 yo. Quite cheap too. My 17 year old is a Beatles fan and wanted one for Christmas. It's actually rather fun to play and good for noodling acoustically yourself, when your little one decides she wants a drum kit instead in 2 month's time :D

• Haha 1

On 10/03/2019 at 10:22, naxos10 said:

You could look at the Harley Benton Short scale P bass at about £80. Probably good for upgrading at a later date as well.

Good shout. Get a black one, make a black scratch plate and put some cream pickup cover on and it’ll look like my Pbass haha