Why become a member? ×

I've signed up for a gig - NO LONGER heebie jeebies

Stub Mandrel

On 06/03/2019 at 08:31, KevB said:

Never done the weekend warrior thing but have played the boat club a couple of times, though not within last 15 years. Don't get worked up over the venue, they will use it because it's close to West Bridgford. It's more like playing a school hall with a big stage than a modern music venue. Stage is quite high though so you feel you are 'up there' performing which is quite cool.

It seems a lot of us have played there - I played a ceilidh there about ten years ago.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2019 at 10:29, Happy Jack said:

I had a truly excellent time, learned a helluva lot about music, about bands, about band politics. Even now, nearly 11 years later, that remains my first-ever live gig. :)

And that's unlikely to change 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a first session with the drummer and one guitarist today 🙂

We managed to make a basic showing of most of the songs we had lined up and a couple were within reach of decent.

Main thing is we all seem to have a very similar attitude - we all brought 'ordinary' comfy instruments rather than the flashest kit, all happy to play at ridiculously low volume, same taste in music, and all  prepared. I did need to here a few things played back to get the groove right, but more practice will sort that. We even managed stay with me which sounded half decent once we realised we were playing it far too fast.

Found it very easy to jam along together - my ear is much better than it was, I never used to be able to drop into the right key so easily - that's what practising to the radio does for you!

Now, where's the spandex?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Had a first session with the drummer and one guitarist today 🙂

We managed to make a basic showing of most of the songs we had lined up and a couple were within reach of decent.

Main thing is we all seem to have a very similar attitude - we all brought 'ordinary' comfy instruments rather than the flashest kit, all happy to play at ridiculously low volume, same taste in music, and all  prepared. I did need to here a few things played back to get the groove right, but more practice will sort that. We even managed stay with me which sounded half decent once we realised we were playing it far too fast.

Found it very easy to jam along together - my ear is much better than it was, I never used to be able to drop into the right key so easily - that's what practising to the radio does for you!

Now, where's the spandex?

This is the beauty of music. A few people in a room together who’ve never met making tunes. Enjoy!

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the demographic is as you say then you have no worries about needing to be a super technical speed merchant bassist. If you are not super keen on the chosen songs well so what?  Simply enjoy learning and playing something you would not normally chose, and playing it with other musicians. Enjoy the feeling of making music with others.

• Like 2

I've changed the thread title,  🙂

This is the current shortlist for the 'weekend warriors' event I'm doing. We will probably end up doing five.

Stay with me

Feel like making love

Living after midnight

Going back home

Custard pie

Sgt Pepper

Boulevard of broken dreams

Won't get fooled again

Crazy little thing called love

Have you ever seen the rain

• 1 month later...

Just caught up with this thread and I'm gagging to know how it went!  (BTW, I saw that isolate bass by the Ox and I was so in awe and , at the same time, so intimidated by how he was able to maintain that cool in almost total separation from the rest of the band.)

Hope it went really well!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Hope it went really well!

It did! I'd link to my post under the gig last night thread but I can't find how to link a specific posting, so:

We were the 'Grizzly Beers' and on second. The sound was spot on as you might expect from a venue with a proper stage and a list of past bands like this:

IMG_20190519_190147050.thumb.jpg.7d50c566383178473894de72731d4ca2.jpg

Were were hoping not to make fools of our selves but in the end we had a great reception and everyone was saying how good we were, especially how we fitted all the instruments together. We started with Going Back Home as easy to play and a crowd pleaser. The Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting which is a tad more challenging! Our secret weapon was Boulevard of Broken dreams where we got all those stops spot on, including the end - our effort to practice endings really paid off.IMG_6308.jpg.62ef63a43353c567e96c41f96e187a43.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg.6b22f095fa253656ffbfe9760ab019c4.jpg

We did 40 minutes and finished with My My, Hey Hey. I started it with my HM2 pedal dialled and a plaintive howl of feedback, calmed down a bit for most of the song, and finished with HM2, tremelo, flanger, EQ and chorus on and the compressor off! The plan was to go out with a bang and it turned out we managed to make a picture fall off the wall at the far end of the building in the next room 🙂

We ended witha group hug!IMG_6310.jpg.9009b4460e03a5008557a30c79b1a897.jpg

A few moments of sheer terror, but in the end we all had a brilliant time and the other bands were great too! We are meeting up in a couple of weeks top discuss a plan for world domination!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It did! I'd link to my post under the gig last night thread but I can't find how to link a specific posting, so:

We were the 'Grizzly Beers' and on second. The sound was spot on as you might expect from a venue with a proper stage and a list of past bands like this:

IMG_20190519_190147050.thumb.jpg.7d50c566383178473894de72731d4ca2.jpg

Were were hoping not to make fools of our selves but in the end we had a great reception and everyone was saying how good we were, especially how we fitted all the instruments together. We started with Going Back Home as easy to play and a crowd pleaser. The Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting which is a tad more challenging! Our secret weapon was Boulevard of Broken dreams where we got all those stops spot on, including the end - our effort to practice endings really paid off.IMG_6308.jpg.62ef63a43353c567e96c41f96e187a43.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg.6b22f095fa253656ffbfe9760ab019c4.jpg

We did 40 minutes and finished with My My, Hey Hey. I started it with my HM2 pedal dialled and a plaintive howl of feedback, calmed down a bit for most of the song, and finished with HM2, tremelo, flanger, EQ and chorus on and the compressor off! The plan was to go out with a bang and it turned out we managed to make a picture fall off the wall at the far end of the building in the next room 🙂

We ended witha group hug!IMG_6310.jpg.9009b4460e03a5008557a30c79b1a897.jpg

A few moments of sheer terror, but in the end we all had a brilliant time and the other bands were great too! We are meeting up in a couple of weeks top discuss a plan for world domination!

That's brilliant, well done!  

Tomorrow, the world!! (tonight, the washing up!)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'd link to my post under the gig last night thread but I can't find how to link a specific posting

Top right hand corner of any post. Click the symbol that looks like a little pair of maracas (next to "Report Post"), and copy / paste the link. 👍

• Sad 1