Why become a member? ×

Mayones - close and personal

Soledad

Acquired a Fame fretless from Bigthumb recently - really fine bass and an enjoyable transaction. As we know, Fame is Mayones re-branded for MusicStore Germany. More recently I think the Fame guitars and basses are slight variations on the Mayones, but in the case of my BE4 it is really identical, it's a Mayo BE4.
I thought it may be of interest to get up close and see what we have got> I haven't worked out how to place text next to pics so...sorry!!

- look at that neck fit. I know you can use routers and template guides etc, but they didn't make life easy. This compound curve is immaculate. Top work.

- the pre-amp and pot cover is cut and shaped from a solid piece of ovankol. I expected a veneer over plastic, but this is major work. Not technically better, but wow these guys like to shape wood. The ovankol body is beautifully formed and crafted.

- 6 bolt neck, even the bolts are offset parallelogram-style. As good as it gets.

- ebony fingerboard - I've never seen better - very even tight grain  dense true black. Top quality ebony.

I could go on ! Every single detail is really impressive - excellent woods, workmanship, finishing... 

I think it's funny that the naff Fame logo is slightly peeling off, like the bass wants to disown the sticker. Anyway Fame sounds a bit Poundstretcher to me - it may fall off quite soon.

Big thumbs up from me to the guys at Mayones - this is so much more than a W copy. 

m5.jpg

M1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m6.jpg

m7.jpg

Edited by Soledad
  • Like 5

So Fame is Mayones, never knew that. Always avoided them thinking they were some duff afar Eastern brand. You’d think someone in marketing would think of a better name. It’s the same with Bacchus, good brand but to have a subsidiary brand called Brian! Whoever would buy a bass called Brian!

• Like 1

I used to have a Mayones Be4 which is essentially what you have here, mine was fretted, had EMG single coils and an Aguilar OBP3 in it, as I specced those but otherwise very similar; I expect you have a very nice bass there.

Also, mine also had a contour cut away on the back at the neck joint, but I can't see any other differences