Why become a member? ×

Today would have been Chris Squire's 71st birthday

Bassman Sam

Relayer would have been the first tour I saw in 1975 with Moraz and as mentioned earlier, it blew me away enough to change instruments.  Think I had to travel to glasgow a couple of years later to see them with wakeman on the going for the one tour. 

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

TOTO was panned by critics when it first came out. I bought a pristine s/h copy along with GFTO when the latter was released. I mainly bought TOTO for Ritual but my fav piece is TRSOG.

Didn't know that, but then I always preferred James Newton Howard & Friends as a far better band than Toto😉

Back to Yes though, whilst I do love TfTO, it has many parts where it feels as if they have no clue as to where they're going. Also, the taking up themes from one movement in later ones never felt as making the unity strong on this one.

Edited by BassTractor

3 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Didn't know that, but then I always preferred James Newton Howard & Friends as a far better band than Toto😉

Back to Yes though, whilst I do love TfTO, it has many parts where it feels as if they have no clue as to where they're going. Also, the taking up themes from one movement i later ones never felt as making the unity strong on this one.

Bugger it. Decades later and still call it Tales of, instead of Tales from.  God knows how many times Ive made that error.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Bugger it. Decades later and still call it Tales of, instead of Tales from.  God knows how many times Ive made that error.

🙂 You're not alone. Me, I sometimes have to check the initialism. That I remember for some reason. 😕

As to Chris Squire, I knew about him before I heard the first song. I read a lot back then, and bought NO albums coz I didn't have pocket money, and had read about a promising band called Yes with THE Chris Squire in it. Never having heard about the man or The Syn, I still was interested because of that article.

"Yes", whilst nice to hear, contained too many lyrics for my young ears, but by "Time and a Word", I'd given up any hopes of only playing instrumental albums forever. Then "The Yes Album" removed all doubt.

"Roundabout" was the first song that made me realise just how exquisite his bass parts were.
The rest is history.

• Like 2