Why become a member? ×

Should BCers declare commercial or similar interests?

Beedster

6 minutes ago, ped said:

I tend to find any genuine company employees are only too happy to become a ‘commercial’ member and be above board, otherwise it can do the company harm if they are caught out or perceived to be spamming. 

A defining feature of the internet is that everyone is genuine and above board

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

In my opinion, the expectation here should be that if you receive money or contribution in kind from a brand, supplier or similar, you should declare it so that any post you make can be read in that context. 

I got a £10 voucher from Thomman for doing a review - does that count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Beedster said:

A defining feature of the internet is that everyone is genuine and above board

A defining feature of Basschat is that it's only as strong as it's members and we reply on them to report anything suspicious - could you help us by flagging the posts you refer to? 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, ped said:

A defining feature of Basschat is that it's only as strong as it's members and we reply on them to report anything suspicious - could you help us by flagging the posts you refer to? 

Absolutely - if you feel something needs to be investigated, let us know and we'll look into it.

59 minutes ago, ped said:

15 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Absolutely - if you feel something needs to be investigated, let us know and we'll look into it.

Thanks chaps, had quite thorough discussion about this with the mod who PM'd me about the thread, and explained my thoughts then. Point is, if it's not against any code of conduct, what's to report, hence my posting this thread in the first place? It's no biggy really, I just picked up a few vibes in a recent thread - one that the Mod team are aware of - in which one transparent manufacturer was arguing the point with what appeared to be a non-transparent contributor, and it made me wonder whether as a site we're happy to accept this type of thing. I wasn't advocating a new cohort of Transparency Mods or similar, just wondering what the forum thought, and I guess I got my answer :) 

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Thanks chaps, had quite thorough discussion about this with the mod who PM'd me about the thread, and explained my thoughts then. Point is, if it's not against any code of conduct, what's to report, hence my posting this thread in the first place? It's no biggy really, I just picked up a few vibes in a recent thread - one that the Mod team are aware of - in which one transparent manufacturer was arguing the point with what appeared to be a non-transparent contributor, and it made me wonder whether as a site we're happy to accept this type of thing. I wasn't advocating a new cohort of Transparency Mods or similar, just wondering what the forum thought, and I guess I got my answer :) 

As I say none of the mods I've asked so far have any idea what you're referring to, so please kindly point it out to me?

2 minutes ago, ped said:

As I say none of the mods I've asked so far have any idea what you're referring to, so please kindly point it out to me?

Ped, perhaps speak to the mod I spoke to as he apparently had his suspicions also. Either way, if it's not against any rules or expectations, there's clearly no problem, so no need for me to report anything. 

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Ped, perhaps speak to the mod I spoke to as he apparently had his suspicions also. Either way, if it's not against any rules or expectations, there's clearly no problem, so no need for me to report anything. 

Can't you speak to me? Which thread?

23 hours ago, Teebs said:

I'd just like to make it very clear - I don't work for, or represent, or even own, a Rickenbacker. :D

You're a troll.

23 hours ago, Teebs said:

*WARNING* shameless touting for free gear

I really like Darkglass stuff :)

If Darkglass would like to send me some things gratis, I'd be sure to say nice things about them on here! ;) 

And a whore.

I'd like to add that I am not sponsored by Ric' International, and Mr Hall has in no way kidnapped my dog (I miss her so much!).

~ This post is brought to you by Tenna Incontinence Pants for Men - Now I can PMSL and not give a ****! 👍 ~

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

You're a troll.

And a whore.

:o I've never been so insulted in all my life!

Well, not often.

Alright, not today until now.

- - -

'Ricky 4000' ??? :o  - blatant advertising!

Shameless hussy! :P

- - -

p.s. I hope you get your doggy back, leaky-boy! ;)

Edited by Teebs
  • Thanks 1

I shall do my best.

OP is concerned that people may be recommending bass equipment when they are, in fact, benefitting from these recommendations.

Others are unconvinced that this either happens, or is a problem if it does.

Some would like to benefit from bass equipment manufacturers by recommending gear (tongue-in-cheek mostly).

I'm concerned about invisible moderators. :o

Ricky 4000 is incontinent. 🚱

I hope that this is a fair & accurate summary.

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I’m really glad I asked now. 

So some people are worried some other people are recommending stuff based on some other people making that recommendation something they benefit from, but most people don’t realise that the people who are making the recommendation are making it based on the other people making that recommendation beneficial and thus it’s not very transparent?

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’m really glad I asked now. 

So some people are worried some other people are recommending stuff based on some other people making that recommendation something they benefit from, but most people don’t realise that the people who are making the recommendation are making it based on the other people making that recommendation beneficial and thus it’s not very transparent?

Erm...probably :scratch_one-s_head: