Why become a member? ×

Should BCers declare commercial or similar interests?

Beedster

There are some posters here who clearly represent their own business and do so transparently. There are some who we can take a pretty good guess are benefitting from supporting certain brands or points of view, but with whom it's less transparent. Over the last few days - and whilst reading about a specific type of gear - I've picked up the feeling that there's a fair few more folks who are even less obvious, but are also promoting specific brands, albeit in a highly un-transparent way (I'm not going to mention names). I wonder if we should expect folks to be a little more transparent about this stuff? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

There are some posters here who clearly represent their own business and do so transparently. There are some who we can take a pretty good guess are benefitting from supporting certain brands or points of view, but with whom it's less transparent. Over the last few days - and whilst reading about a specific type of gear - I've picked up the feeling that there's a fair few more folks who are even less obvious, but are also promoting specific brands, albeit in a highly un-transparent way (I'm not going to mention names). I wonder if we should expect folks to be a little more transparent about this stuff? 

Tricky. If you're not paying them though, can you expect this? (Like with MPs).

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There are sellers here who contribute to none of the threads. Their membership is clearly nothing more than a commercial venture.

Agreed, but they're not influencing opinion and/or buying habits whilst doing so?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Beedster said:

The thought had crossed my mind as well. 

Though, given that nearly every post I have written over the last month has involved has mentioned a Mesa Boogie Walkabout, Mesa Boogie WD-800, Mesa Boogie M6 and Mesa Boogie, I wish to make it known that I definitely don't work for Mesa Boogie. My bank statements after buying a Big Block definitely attest to this...

• Haha 2

I'm not sure I understand  what's being inferred here.

Are there people on here who are fanboys for certain brands?

Absolutely, this is a site frequented by people who are more than averagely interested in bass gear.

Are there people on here who are somehow gaining something financially or otherwise by trying to influence others to purchase specific brands of gear?

I seriously doubt it and I doubt anyone would be successful if they did try it.

Edited by Cato

*WARNING* shameless touting for free gear

I really like Darkglass stuff :)

If Darkglass would like to send me some things gratis, I'd be sure to say nice things about them on here! ;) 

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

As I've just said in a PM to one of the mods, I'm not going to name names, but I do think that if you work for a business, or take money from one, it should be declared out of professional courtesy, especially when expressing strong opinions about the gear made by your competition

• Like 5

It's not easy to impose rules like this really. While we like to consider ourselves "members", we aren't really. We're only registrants. Anyone can register click to show agreement to a code of conduct, but most of us don't really know those terms. Then, if thrown out, anyone can re-register with another email address and re-appear again with few checks to stop it. (There are some checks in place and doing this is against the Code of conduct)

While here I'd like it to be known I'm not on anyone' payroll, but I am open to offers.

Though I own and endorse a large amount of Spector equipment I big it up because I have extensive experience playing their instruments and I believe in them......NOT for any commercial or financial gain. If Warwick offered me an endorsement I'd say no thanks because I don't like their recent product.... 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cetera said:

Though I own and endorse a large amount of Spector equipment I big it up because I have extensive experience playing their instruments and I believe in them......NOT for any commercial or financial gain. If Warwick offered me an endorsement I'd say no thanks because I don't like their recent product.... 😉

You own so much Spector stuff they ought to give you a yearly share offering!

• Haha 1

I'm claiming high that Leduc basses are to me exceptional instruments, but even if Christophe has become a friend over the years, I don't earn any money AT ALL for that. I'm only buying too much of his stuff (new or not), and, because of that, just as he likes to say : I'm ruling the second hand market prices, having owned something like 30 of his basses... And I ordered a new one last year at my wife's suggestion. I know, I'm a lucky man. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cetera said:

I don't have a Spector endorsement but  I'm still happy to big up their equipment because I believe that it is exceptional and that others would agree if they tried it. Same with my "endorsement" of Trace Elliot amps - no better VFM or IMO performance. In fact I will speak highly of any brand or company which I feel justifies that praise.

I wish that I would receive some financial reward, but I don't. 😍 😍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

I'd just like to make it very clear - I don't work for, or represent, or even own, a Rickenbacker. :D

Sounds very much to me like you are trying to get financial gain by making RIckenbackers seem exclusive and cool by not having one 🤔

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Cato said:

Are there people on here who are somehow gaining something financially or otherwise by trying to influence others to purchase specific brands of gear?

I seriously doubt it and I doubt anyone would be successful if they did try it.

There are, The might also be people trying to influence others to not buy certain brands, and those people might be employed by the manufacturers of rival brands.

In my opinion, the expectation here should be that if you receive money or contribution in kind from a brand, supplier or similar, you should declare it so that any post you make can be read in that context. 

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

There are, The might also be people trying to influence others to not buy certain brands, and those people might be employed by the manufacturers of rival brands.

In my opinion, the expectation here should be that if you receive money or contribution in kind from a brand, supplier or similar, you should declare it so that any post you make can be read in that context. 

I’d be interested to hear examples. Why not ask directly in the open forum, see what they say? I tend to find any genuine company employees are only too happy to become a ‘commercial’ member and be above board, otherwise it can do the company harm if they are caught out or perceived to be spamming. 

It’s impossible to enforce with any accuracy so I think it’s best that the BC hive mind makes it’s own conclusions about gear recommendations, and flags anything suspicious for me to investigate further.