Why become a member? ×

Shuker Custom J Build

PatrickJ

@Muzz

@mike 110

I'm curious as to your experiences of working with Jon.  Muzz, I know you've had a few basses from him. 

Thus far he's been really helpful and really accommodating with me changing and tweaking specs as we've gone on.  On that front he's been super awesome.

On the other side sometimes he's super frustrating.   For example last week I received this in an email from him:

So the next job is the layout of the controls, i’ll do a few mockups of where the controls could be and you can choose your favourite (or suggest one if you prefer).  I’ll sort the pics tomorrow!

cheers

Jon

I've responded with a few of the ideas as per my posts in this thread but not a sausage back, and no pics over a week later.    This has happened a lot over the past few months and tomorrow typically becomes two to three weeks!   I'm really was hoping to get my hands on the bass before christmas but realistically I don't think that's going to happen. 

32 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

@Muzz

@mike 110

I'm curious as to your experiences of working with Jon.  Muzz, I know you've had a few basses from him. 

Thus far he's been really helpful and really accommodating with me changing and tweaking specs as we've gone on.  On that front he's been super awesome.

On the other side sometimes he's super frustrating.   For example last week I received this in an email from him:

So the next job is the layout of the controls, i’ll do a few mockups of where the controls could be and you can choose your favourite (or suggest one if you prefer).  I’ll sort the pics tomorrow!

cheers

Jon

I've responded with a few of the ideas as per my posts in this thread but not a sausage back, and no pics over a week later.    This has happened a lot over the past few months and tomorrow typically becomes two to three weeks!   I'm really was hoping to get my hands on the bass before christmas but realistically I don't think that's going to happen. 

In my experience , this is par for the course really . I just keep sending the odd email to see what's happening and if he needs any more details from me ... he did say that his courses have been taking up a lot of his time , so him being a one man band ...😁...I sort of expected it . This will only be my second Bass from Jon and in reality I'm  not in that much of a rush , but maybe Muzz can tell you more 👍

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mike 110 said:

In my experience , this is par for the course really . I just keep sending the odd email to see what's happening and if he needs any more details from me ... he did say that his courses have been taking up a lot of his time , so him being a one man band ...😁...I sort of expected it . This will only be my second Bass from Jon and in reality I'm  not in that much of a rush , but maybe Muzz can tell you more 👍

At least it's not just me :)

Yeah, it's the price you pay (sort of) for a busy one-man artisan: he generally responds to the second email I've sent him rather than the first, and I (probably like yourself) don't want to mither, but sometimes that's what it takes. In this case, though, I know he's stacked out, so I've told him I can wait for mine...

I'll mention this tomorrow - I'm going to see him to pick up the bass he's used as a neck template for my new one. 

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Yeah, it's the price you pay (sort of) for a busy one-man artisan: he generally responds to the second email I've sent him rather than the first, and I (probably like yourself) don't want to mither, but sometimes that's what it takes. In this case, though, I know he's stacked out, so I've told him I can wait for mine...

I'll mention this tomorrow - I'm going to see him to pick up the bass he's used as a neck template for my new one. 

Haha don't mention anything.  As long as it is fair and equal treatment for all I'm happy(ish).

However if you want to take a picture of my bass whilst you are there and send it over that would be cool.  Not sure if' Jon's attached the neck but a body and neck shot would be nice to see, even if they are lying next to each other.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

Will do if it's out and snappable 😀

The whole thing with Jon reminds me of that great dedication by PG Wodehouse in one of his books: 'To my daughter Leonora without whose never-failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been finished in half the time.' 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Will do if it's out and snappable 😀

The whole thing with Jon reminds me of that great dedication by PG Wodehouse in one of his books: 'To my daughter Leonora without whose never-failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been finished in half the time.' 

Haha, I'll e-mail him tonight and ask him to lay it out for you :).

42 minutes ago, eude said:

That is stunning!

Eude

Thanks Eude, I was a bit nervous how the birds eye maple fingerboard was going to work out with the elm drop top but it all seems to have pulled together really nicely.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Thanks Eude, I was a bit nervous how the birds eye maple fingerboard was going to work out with the elm drop top but it all seems to have pulled together really nicely.

I think you can rest assured it'll work just fine!

Eude

• Thanks 1