Why become a member? ×

Shuker Custom J Build

PatrickJ

• 1 month later...

Update from Jon is that all the lacquering has been finished; no pictures yet but hopefully they are on there way.

Jon's asked me to make a decision on control layout for the East Uni-Pre 4 - now all the J basses I've owned have had the standard Fender straight line configuration so that's an obvious choice but for those following this thread any other favoured setups?

A few options from Google J basses

• The traditional straight line as per this Lakland ..

lakland_jazz.thumb.jpg.639d95f2ac0bf79c6e512c04843c7e68.jpg

• A diamond pattern like this Roscoe..

roscoe_sig.thumb.JPG.1f2ed9742d33e60eddaf449776658f98.JPG

• Or following the Contours of the lower edge like this ACG

acg_retro.JPG.1395ea9a189699f4217594061f7b09b1.JPG

Edited by PJ-Bassist

My preferences have always been a diamond pattern, or a line following the contours. Usually the layout on my own builds is determined by a few factors, available space, number of controls, clear and easy access and the knobs and switches not being in the way of my picking/strumming hand or fingers. 

• Thanks 1

On a jazz, I like a straight line, having said that, that's my ACG and I really like the controls following the contour too.

From the Jazzes I've seen that Jon makes, I'd vote for a straight line, I reckon that'll look bang on.

Eude

• Like 1

Jon sent me a note last week to say he was going to do some mock ups and send me some examples of control layouts but I haven't received anything as yet.  I used a couple of images he had sent me in the past to do an updated photoshop mockup of my to be instrument and played about with some of the control lay out options.

I wasn't keen on the typical straight line so that's out but I can't decide between curved or diamond.  Curved is probably more practical for on the fly adjustments like Andy suggested but I'm favouring diamond visually.

custom_j_control_options.thumb.JPG.68e35f38b1394581845b4f94f7409ff9.JPG

Edited by PJ-Bassist

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Even without the reference to the stars, the spacings are nicely incremental.

If you do call it your birth-sign bass you can then say it has astral charm.  Should give you a lot of hippy cred.

There's also the additional factor that this bass is in fact a 40th birthday present from the misses - the stars are aligning around this idea so to speak!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mike 110 said:

He did say it would be ready " sometime in November " ...so I'm thinking Christmas Eve / New years Day ...

He's a bit busy with somebody's bloody Jazz Bass or something....😁 

He's also busy with something for me, too... 😁