Why become a member? ×

Shuker Custom J Build

PatrickJ

As per a few recent posts I've made regarding my 40th birthday and that my wife wanted to get me a really nice Bass for a present, this here forum got me turned on to the idea of a Custom build! 

After looking at Shuker, GB, ACG and Sei I found I was drawn to Shuker guitars more and after a few interactions with Jon and heading up to his workshop in the Peak District to try a few recent builds I found I really liked the neck profile and build quality of his instruments!

So I'm in on a Shuker bass build.

After initially flirting heavily  with the Horn body shape I've settled on the Custom J with a slightly extended top horn and Shuker designed headstock.  I mocked up a template based on some examples from the Shuker website as to what I'm expecting it to look like.

custom_J_mock_blk_140519.png.f8742e2e9f9ee7431dcdf6f7e6b803ba.png

Jon's sent me a load of options for top woods so I just need to pick one and finalise my decision on bridge / tuners.  I hope to get the order in this week.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things have been on hold for a little while with my build; which is OK because things have gone on hold for a little while with my playing too :).

The reason for the delay was me asking Jon to find some Walnut for the drop top, after seeing some amazing walnut examples posted by Alpher on Social Media I was hoping Jon could find something similar.  Alas not, however, he did pick up this lovely piece of English Elm which I've commissioned.

js_w_1.jpg.ff8e3012e1a39b01b6250d7efd64ca9a.jpg

Hopefully Jon will be able to slice it up this week and show me the book matched pieces and we can get the build going again.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's really worked out beautifully.  There's quite a dramatic difference between the rough cut top and the final photo you've got.  Did Jon spill any beans about whether he had dyed it, or what finish he used?  That's going to look top shelf. 

• 4 weeks later...