Why become a member? ×

Markaudio linear array systems

Happy Jack

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Well, I do prefer systems that don't need HPF in the first place. It's not just down to the composition of bass signal, in the Mark Audio case.

That makes no sense. Subs and tops are full range. The system is only reproducing what you are putting in. Any sub loaded system is going expect the appropriate use of HPF. Even if you are using just tops, you will want to use A HPF to retain headroom. If you aren’t going to make use of amp sapping lows, get rid of them…

Just now, EBS_freak said:

That makes no sense. Subs and tops are full range. The system is only reproducing what you are putting in. Any sub loaded system is going expect the appropriate use of HPF. Even if you are using just tops, you will want to use A HPF to retain headroom. If you aren’t going to make use of amp sapping lows, get rid of them…

I already do with the EQ, both on the bass channel and on the PA channel.

The Mark Audio system sounds good only at high and very high volume, hence our using it so rarely. It's something to do with how the system deals with crossover. Regarding the low frequencies, their wavelength - even after the HPF - tends to benefit from large spaces as opposed to small ones. The low mids are what we can mostly hear from the bass in small rooms at relatively low volume, and that's what's missing from the Mark Audio system.

All the above from extensive experience with the system and a lot of playing with the settings.

Our soundman has asked me about linear array system suitabilty as afull band PA, so this thread is very interesting. 

We have no amps on stage, just monitors and everything through the PA. 

Do you think the lack of low mid/emphasised low bass is just a Mark Audio thing or just an inherent feature in linear array systems? 

Probably wrongly, I've always suspected these systems are very good for a disco but not so much for a band.