Why become a member? ×

SOLD. KEN SMITH PAS-II 1981 (New York) "... a piece of my history" (quote from Ken Smith)
£5500
Valencia (Spain)

1966powers

SOLD 

Ken Smith's personal bass.

Made, owned and played by Ken Smith.

KEN SMITH 4 STRING     Only two were built, with these characteristics.

Model: PAS-II

Serial number:#35

Date: 16/5/1981

Natural Gloss.

Neck: maple & mahogany (5-pc)

NUT: 36 mm !!!!!  (52 mm Width at 12F); impeccable neck; maximum comfort. Perfect and functional truss road

Body: Flamed maple & mahogany

Originals pickupsThe bass was transformed active / passive in 1986, keeping the originals pickups. Smith Concentric BT Circuit with a DIP panel switch .....recently installed.

Made in NY: At that time, Fodera built the basses for Smith.......read article: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/336065-ken-smith-and-the-6-string-basses/ 

This is the email Ken Smith wrote to his former owner ...

" I was a very active studio musician back then and my personal records show ME using this bass on several recording back then, Jingles/Commercials for Radio and TV.
I played on about 2,000 recordings like those. Some of the dates were 2 3, 4 or 5 spots on them, not just one. Most were done for Ted Bates Advertising, Arnold Eidus director, Virtuoso violinist and the arranger was Al Datz. Much of the bass parts said "Kenny" in the upper left corner and not "Bass" as you would expect because by the morning of the session, he knew I was playing on it. Also, I took a lot of those parts home, with and without my name on it and used them with my students for lessons I gave then as well.

This bass has a 5-pc neck with figured maple and I mahogany. We made only a couple like this 5-pc neck.

A piece of my history here!

Thank you "

Ken Smith
 President/Owner
 Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg