Why become a member? ×

Talked myself out of buying a bass

grumpyguts

I did loads of overtime last month.... so you know the story.

Andertons have some Sterling Stingray Classic 5's available for £494 - sunburst and butterscotch. I don't like sunburst and the butterscotch looks a bit pants. Do I need another bass? Probably not - I have a modded 4 string OLP that I don't use. Do I need that Stingray sound? I don't know. Does my Sire jazz do all the stuff I need? Probably. If I buy the Sterling (and like it) that means the Sire is redundant and hence was a waste of money - Ahhhhhh. Is that how it goes? I'm doing this gas thing all wrong.

So common sense has prevailed - I haven't taken that short trip down the A31 to Guildford. 

Haven't tried either but....lots of people seem to be raving about the Sires, from what I gather good basses for not too much money. Lots of of discussion about how good they are. When it comes to discussion about the Sterling Stingrays the silence is deafening - I haven't read a single review praising them.

If the Sire does the stuff you need, do you NEED another bass? OTOH if you WANT the Ray, and buying it isn't going to mean the kids starving, then go ahead..

3 hours ago, grumpyguts said:

So common sense has prevailed - I haven't taken that short trip down the A31 to Guildford.

If you were that easily convinced you didn't need another bass then you didn't! Good decision making.

I went into the city at the weekend, to drop a bass bin for our PA off for repair.
I'd spotted a whole HiWatt rig for sale at a bargain price in a shop (new MaxWatt series 300w amp and 4x10 and 1x15 cabs).
I thought hard about storing it and using it and didn't go into the shop when I drove up to it.
Will power.

Will power and I are strange bedfellows.  Generally, I do enjoy the chase of deciding what I would like and anticipate how that "improve" my rig/playing/ego/status etc.  It almost never does of course.  So it's taken me 40 years to realise that my efforts should be in getting the right gig or musicians to play with not in new gear.  I only play one bass now, which is an old Fender.

Davo